Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student are unprepared for class

my student show up for class without reading
the chapter we are studing. they may have a week
to read one chapter and still do not finish the questions for each chapter.

Hi Gregory,
This is very typical of students. They simply do not like to read or want to read. We have to continue to try to find ways to entice them to read.

Patricia Scales

Give your students an incentive: such as points for completing the chapter and extra points for the questions they complete.

Hi Dell,
I believe in giving students what they have earned. I am not a big fan of extra points. Students should work hard from the beginning so that extra points are not needed.

Patricia Scales

Requiring material that stems from the reading helps ensure that the reading gets done. If students are expected to have read the 3rd chapter by Friday, involve the students by requiring they bring a response to the chapter, or some physical manifestation of thier learning. Of course these projects should not be gratuitious, they should tie the learning to the material in the near future.

I think people have a fundamental need to be part of something. People don't like to be left out. If a student comes in late, or doesn't have a calculator to help do a problem, I continue instructing the prepared students, really stressing the importance of the activity and encouraging them when they're successful, emphasizing what they have learned by participating in the activity. Make the non-prepared student WANT to be a part of all that next time around.

I agree with this. I owe it to my motivated students to not "dumb down" the course to facilitate the students who don't come to class prepared. More often than not, the number of students who do not respond to this method is minimal. It is not the responsibility of an adult education instructor to teach good study habits or cater to laziness.

Hi Cameron,
I concur! We should always hold students to the highest of standards. We truly get from students what we expect. We should never cater to laziness! Make students rise to the expecatations.

Patricia Scales

I agree 100% with this statement. Students should not be given extra points for doing the assignment that was part of the course and part of their learning experience.
I see too often that students are given 'extra' to entice them to work. If instructors engage students during their learning they will want to participate and they will not need a 'bribe' to do so.

Hi Marc,
I concur! If students do what is required and expected of them, we should not have to pacify them with offering extra points. I feel as though I do a fantastic job to take my students to a level of understanding and to get them excited in the course content, therefore I do not offer extra credit.

Patricia Scales

Giving tests on the reading material or asking discussions about it makes the student more accountable. It reinforces the importance and relevance of the assigned readings.

i have students come to class and they were supposed to do their self study at home on their own. it is a very small assignment and there is a test question every test on this. very seldom do they do any of it and they wanna complain about failure of the test question. so i try to help them by slyly asking them about things i know that are in the self study so now they do listen more attentively. but it is getting harder to help them when they will not help themselves. i just have to get more creative. i do love teaching .

Hi Nicky,
Let the students know that you are trying to help them succeed, but they must do their due diligence as a student and complete their small assignment.

Patricia Scales

It is important to make the students understand that all reading assignments are relavant to the course. An example could be after a reading assignment to give a 5 questions quiz on the reading or specific topic. Do not do it everytime, this lets them know it is important to complete the reading and relavant. Makes them accountable.

If an Adult Student has signed up for a class you would think that they would put in all the necessary effort needed to get the most from the class as possible. To just not do an assignment would be like throwing away the available and much needed information to succeed.

Hi Julie,
Some students need an extra push, and we have to be very encouraging and motivating for our students.

Patricia Scales

I wonder how students expect to learn when they do not read or study the material. Do they expect the instructor to give them every bit of information? Sadly, it is all too common these days.

Hi Fred,
I agree! These students are in college, and they do not want to read. I do not get it...they want everything given to them. They are in for a rude awakening.

Patricia Scales

I agree with you 100%. I do not give students extra points throughout the course. I clearly outline and explain to the students in the beginning of the course what is expected of them and me, as the instructor. Additionally, I have found by having the student sign a contract explaining and detailing all of the information and requirements of both them and me; this holds us both to a higher standard and typically I have a successful passing rate!

Hi Steven,
You will get from students what you expect. Set the bar high, and most students will rise. Students need to be held accountable. Great idea of the contract.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment