Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

self motivation

Some students have internal brakes applied to their ablities and need direction in ensuring, Yes I CAN. This may require obtainng self actualization of whom they think they are and what they are presenting to others. Facing that they may require to change their social behavior in order to achieve their true desire in changing their plot in life. Learning at this time really becomes self motivate.

William, the role of teacher is as much about coaching as anything else. As a coach we can guide our students towards a better understanding of the real world. Some students take to coaching better than others but ALL students can be coached. Eventually our students become more self reliant or as some would call it, self motivated. For those students that may require more coaching, the teacher will appear when the student is ready as Dr. Joe Pace from the Pacific Institution would say. The "Yes I CAN" attitude is instrumental in achieving the goal of moving students forward towards the self motivation of the maturity spectrum.

James Jackson

I find that taking on the roll of "coach" means staddling the fine line between an authority figure and a friend. You don't want to be parental, yet you want to command the respect of students. Establishing a somewhat easy-going rapport can enhance the students sense of security and confidence in the classroom and encourage a sense of comfort with the instructor, making them more open to learning.

Martin, think more of the phrase professional mentor versus friend. Friends tend to not challenge each other too much for fear of losing a friendship while professional mentors are much more accepting of challenging their students because they want to see then grow and master the concepts needed to move forward. If you get the chance, take a look at ED113 and learn more about the role of a Guide which is what each instructor should strive to become.

James Jackson

Sign In to comment