Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wanting to help

I have a few older adult students who like to help out the younger students.

We also use this technique on occasion. We have students in more advanced classes come to help the new students with learning procedures or reviewing lecture material. The newer students are encouraged and impressed to see how much the more seasoned students know and how confident they appear.
While helping the new students,the "older" students often surprise themselves with how much they acutally know! This gives them encouragement to continue learning right up to the very end!

Stu, great us of existing knowledge within your classroom. I have found that older students can help younger and younger can help older. The key is to ensure both groups understand their value to the other. Thanks for sharing.

James Jackson

We see this a lot in our institution. Our older students help the younger ones by showing them patients, structure, and proper procedures for diagnosing and repairing problems. Our younger students help the older ones by teaching them modern technology with computer based diagnostic equipment and computer controlled engine management systems. When we see this happen, we immediately change from the role of instructor to facilitator. This helps us concentrate on other areas that need attention.

I have found that in my class my students like to assist both ways. My older students love to share their "real world" knowledge and my younger students love to share their "tech savvy ideas". In todays era it is all about social media and how you can market and brand yourself. As instructors we have to make sure we are afloat on what it takes to keep our students motivated.

Sign In to comment