Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I actually have never taught during the day but I'm split on the statement that night students take the material more seriously. That's what I'll expect but some students still tend to miss class and try to play catch up at the end of the course.

Kesha, day students and night students miss classes and some take their studies more seriously than others. There can also be a relationship between how the curriculum is managed for day students versus night as well. Sometimes we as instructors overlook our end of the responsibility matrix and fail to realize that what works for one group of students may not work for all. It is rare that one size every fits all in higher education. Each group of students is different and each topic and classroom setting can require different methodologies to perform the knowledge transfer needed. In my experience the one common factor is engagement and keeping students active. The active they are in the learning process the better they achieve the desired learning outcomes.

James Jackson

I teach at night and my students are tired or drained from work, traffic, children. What works for me is a lot of variety. Some guided lecture, short video, frequent breaks as required. I may have a group assignment or library assignment. They may be directed to go to the Library and look up a website and choose a topic. Type a one or two page paper and be prepared to present their findings to the class.

Sign In to comment