Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

motivation

This was a good course.
I feel good that I am already doing 90% of what was suggested here.
However, the way our portal is set up, it's difficult to drop grades, as the Assignment List doesn't allow to let some drops grades and others keep their scores...once the assignment is set up, that grade goes in and registers a zero if you were to 'drop the grade.'
Basically, you'd have to drop the entire assignment, which could hurt some who actually did well on that assessment.

Vallorie, of course this technique may not be the best fit for all. Another strategy is to maintain your own log of assignments that you can use when grading the "recorded" grades. You can share with students that anyone that meets some threshold will benefit by adding some extra points to an assignment or two later in the course where the additional points can make a big difference. More work on you as the instructor but does give you more resources to motivate students to work a little harder on topics you feel are critical to the overall learning outcomes of your course. Again, this technique is not suited for all situations but something to consider.

James Jackson

I enjoyed this course. It offered suggestions that I really hadn't thought about. I am open to the idea of letting my students have more control in the classroom. I like the idea of giving them a variety of options in regards to evaluations.This course was very beneficial in helping me learn what motivates my students.

This course gave me much to consider re: student control and yet meeting my assigned objectives and course requirements as an instructor. Though I give my students choices, I'll be looking for options and opportunities to incorporate this concept of allowing them a little more control. One area of success that I have seen where they manage their learning has been in both leadership and community health projects. Groups have been successful and they really monitor each other knowing that there is a goal and some criteria to meet. Karen Crusich

Sign In to comment