Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping the student motivated

As instructors, we will always come across students that need that extra boost due to the lack of motivation. I always try to apply multiple approaches in my classes; I think this gives me the opportunity to see what I’m up against. From the initial meeting, I can pretty much determine who I’ll need to work with closely, and whose already highly motivated. My question is, how do I prevent those students that have been categorized intrinsic from falling into the extrinsic category, i.e. life changing events. I can see how one may go from extrinsic to intrinsic, but I want to effectively help those that are already motivated to stay motivated; even when they’re dealing with the hardships of life, and without getting too involved in their situation.

Stacie, communication is key. Maintain as high level of communication as possible and keep the students talking about their intrinsic motivators. The human brain is like a muscle in that the more we use it the more it can do. Self talk and external/vocal techniques are critical in keeping a student moving forward.

James Jackson

That's right - Comunication is the key. Keeping an open door policy is so important. If a student is facing outside issues and the instructor is not receptive to the student then that is a receipe for failure. You as the instructor may not be able to do anything about the outside issue, but sometimes just being there to listen and offer encouraging words makes all the difference.

It takes time and effort, but the most successful teachers I have ever met are those who get to know each student on a personal level. Everyone in our classrooms is coming there with different hopes, fears, and challenges. To be able to recognize that they are all different and then be able to tailor your teaching to each student is difficult, but extremely effective.

Jeff, great post and I totally agree. This is not the road most traveled but it is the one with the best overall results. The diversity within the classroom is more of a gap today than in any time in our history and we as instructors need to know what skills our students have in order to get them to a specific point along the necessary learning curve. Thanks for sharing.

James Jackson

One technique I have used is focused on getting the student to leave their "life distractions" outside when they come in class. We do this by explaining the "threshold", whereby students are encouraged to mentally channel their attention on their education when they enter the classroom--once they walk in, cross the threshold mentally and isolate yourself in the lesson so they can leave the classroom a little better than when they walked in. An example I have used is Notre Dame, when the football players slap the sign above the exit door in the locker room when they enter the football field!

Chip

Chip, excellent idea. I like the focus on a mental image and the tactile approach that places a level of reality to an otherwise conceptional ideology.

James Jackson

I deal with alot of students who are straight out of high school. Most of the time they have no idea of the requirements needed to pass the course

janice, what steps do you take day one of your classroom to discuss the requirements needed to pass the class? It would also be interesting to know what actions you take on a weekly basis to discuss the requirements of the course and how your students are doing with respect to meeting those expectations. Thanks for anything you can share.

James Jackson

Communication is the key in motivating students. Every student comes to the classroom facing their fears and challenges. Being an effective communicator is being able to express the subject in such a way that the student understands it and is able to apply it.

Comunication is the key. I talk to my students and find out why they came to school in the first place and remind them of that when they struggle in class.

Charles, well done and a great tool. Some institutions share admissions and advising notes with instructors as well so members of the faculty can better understand the root motivations of why students are going to school. The more we as educators can reconnect students with their root motivations the better chance we have at retaining our students.

James Jackson

Sign In to comment