Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making the classroom exciting and relevant

I recently took over a program that was a bit in the "dark ages". Many students complained when the former instructor retired, even going so far as to say the company "forced" her out.

Since then, I have moved the program onto the standard curriculum, and updated much of the information given to the students, including lectures, activities, labs, etc. I've also integrated use of computers whenever possible, as the industry is heavily reliant on computers and technology.

For a while now, I've been hearing students comment positively that they are pleased with the direction of the program, even if they do feel it is more difficult than in the past. Hearing me and my co-instructor discuss what is the current trend or standard in the industry, and how we want to present that to the class has cemented that we truly do want them to have the most current and relevant information available. This also solidifies that they will have an advantage over others competing for jobs once they graduate.

Both my co-instructor and I have a lot of enthusiasm for our industry, and that carries out to the students. They now see that change in itself can be exciting when it makes their education a better experience.

Shannie,
Thank you for sharing this story and how you have been able to bring about innovation in a course while maintaining the core content. This is what being a creative and focused instructor is about. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Being an instructor must love it, when you love it you will make it exciting.

I love teaching, I could'nt like of anything else I would want to do, you have the ability to change so many lives, for the better.

Jeannette,
This is why I am still a teacher after all of these years and I still get excited each time I enter the classroom.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to do the following:

1) Open every class with an anecdote

2) Allow students to provide their feedback on the anecdote

3) Share the relevance of the anecdote as it relates to the current class and their future

David,
Sounds like a fun way to start a class and as a result you have them engaged right from the start.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Enthusiasm, knowledge and skill make a tremendous amount of differences in the learning environment. I am continuously energetic in my class rooms and I have had so many students compliment that they love coming to class because it is so exciting and the enjoy and learn from my passion to teach our material. It has such a great impact on how well the class interacts with the material during our hands on applications and keeps them involved during lecture as well.

Love for my career in the medical field and love for teaching MUST GO HAND IN HAND...or how can you possibly "sell" the idea of going into the profession you are teaching????

One IS NOT EXCLUSIVE OF THE OTHER!!!

AND STUDENTS WILL SENSE EITHER YOUR LACK FOR TEACHING OR YOUR PROFESSION YOU ARE TEACHING THEM ABOUT...thus not being as "effective" an instructor as you should/could be...AND WANT TO BE!

Denise,
This is what teaching should be about. Being excited about stepping into a classroom or lab and being able to share with students is what keeps us coming back session after session. Our legacy is the lives we have impacted over the years. We need to relish this opportunity.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kristina,
Thank you for these comments about instructor enthusiasm and passion. The more we bring both to the classroom the more engaged our students are going to be. As you say we cannot be without either because if we are then our teaching effort is going to be weak at best.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment