Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Humor in the classroom

I've always valued the use of humor in the classroom, be it initiated by instructor or student. Tension,nerves tend to run high at critical points of the quarter,and I believe its essential to 'lighten' things up. I like to open class with a humorous topic that is familiar to my students and I hope they respond in similar fashion.

Terry,
Good way to get the students settled into the course for that session. They can relax a bit and enjoy a laugh before they dig into the content. Sets the stage for learning success.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I think humor is important, too. I have had some activities where the students have laughed a lot but were able to apply the information and get a lot out of it.

I think that this is important as well. A little humor can reduce anxiety levels and in return enhance learning.

Colleen,
I agree and use humor a lot in my classes as I teach a required subject that students must pass to get their state certificates. I try to make the course valuable to them while keeping them engaged and enjoying learning.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

With so many issues and tensions in their lives, the adult learner forgets the value of laughter and the positive effects in can have on the learning process. When you, as an instructor, is able to incorporate humor into the classroom, you make learning an easy, and stress-free routine.

Chastity,
A smile and a laugh that is incorporated into the classroom is very valuable. Humor provides a break in the learning process and it enables students to "reset" their brains so they will be ready when the next segment of content is introduced.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Without humor in the classroom all of any bodys lectures would be boring as H. I like to start a lecture showing a half barrel full of a fine beverage, I let the student fill in the type them selfs, then we explain how it is pressurized and continue. if they can visuelise what is going on inside of the container it makes a boring lecture fun.I teach industrial hydraulics. Humor!

I try try to insert a humorous story into my lecture at certain points. It helps to break up the monatony.

William,
Sounds like a fun and engaging way to get your point across and keep the students focused on the needed learning outcomes.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

humor lightens up the room to where students arn't so anixous

Teresa,
What is a method you use to bring humor into your classroom?
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

i agree, its good to have humor in the classroom, it relieves the tension in the room, and it puts a smile on their face, I always like to see that in my students

Tanya,
It sure does. It helps students relax and get settled into the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

If I can find a comic strip and change the verbiage in the bubbles that relate to the lesson, that's a sure thing, but you have to know your audience. Are they all Americans? What is their ethnic background? Will they get the joke?

Did you hear the one about the stuttttering cat...I still can't say that one without laughing hysterically.

Anthony,
Humor helps with learning when it is done in a way that everyone can get the humor and enjoy it. You are doing that with your careful approach. Laughter is a common bond for everyone.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I use light humor from day one with my class. I have older students and they are extremely nervous from day one. The light humor tends to break the tension for them. They are not afraid to respond in class for fear of getting it wrong. The class time goes by quickly and i do not have any clock watchers in the class. We develop a great class relationship.

Zelda,
Thank you for the point about humor. It is an essential part of teaching as far as I am concerned. We all like to laugh and in doing so our minds relax a bit and then we can move on to the next phase of the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I have always been a 'story teller' and love to make people laugh. That is just my nature. It is a style that I have brought into my classroom and it has made the learning environment come alive. There are times during the lecture or hands-on portion of the class when I'll remember a funny experience I had related to the topic at hand and share it (along with gestures, facial expressions and appropriate changes in my voice) that will ease the tension and create an endorphin-raising moment for the class. I have had students tell me that during an exam they remembered one of these light moments and it actually helped them recall a key point from a lecture/skills lab and they knew what to write for the answer! I think humor can make the learning environment fun and promote retention as students will look forward to coming to class.

Heather,
This comfortable and supportive way of teaching is a great way to earn the respect of students while establishing rapport with them. I agree humor is a valuable teaching tool that helps to keep students engaged and focus, plus sharing a laugh is a great connector.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment