Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Class participation

Getting involved in active demo's helps me to better understand each student.

Hi Jeff,
Students like to see demonstrations of what they are learning. Demonstrations also increase their motivation levels.
What do you see are the biggest benefits of using demonstrations as teaching tools?
Thanks.
Gary

I find that doing more hands-on activities that in class, the enthusiasm of the students increase and therefore participation is at 100%.

I try to change up teaching strategies approximately every 20-25 minutes to keep students engaged. Ranging from lecture to small group activities, to students presentations of course materials.

I agree,my students ask if they could video me doing movements that they were going to be tested on.they said they could not get a visual.this really helped them!

Hi Chrissy,
This is a great way for students to see themselves as they really are when performing selected tasks. This way you can give them very targeted feedback on their efforts.
Gary

My class is 50% lab and that really helps the students to learn and to keep them interested.

An activity is planned for each concept presented in the class. First, the students listen to and discuss the elements of the concept. Next, they given examples of possible responses. Then, they interact to exemplify the concept.

I agree that the lab assignments help the students learn more & keeps them interested. Escpecially when a test comes up Positive.

I like to have my class review the assignments of other students so they can learn from their peers. This teaches them how to participate as a team and also how to share best practices.

I think demos also help the visual student who can read the material but not fully grasp it.

I teach criminal justice courses and also actively work in the field. I use videos and demonstrations in certain parts of the class. This gives them the ability to understand my perspective and reasons for reacting in a situation.

After we began lab sessions, where students learned from doing and from each other, their engagement in the course definitely increased. At the same time tardiness and absenteeism dropped off. Including practical exercises tied to the course goals is a good retention strategy.

The great thing of doing scenarios is this gives them an opputunity on how an office operates and what they may encounter in the field. Not only it gives them practice but it keeps them engaged in the learning process.

Sign In to comment