Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attention seeking behavior

I have a student that needed some additional one on one instruction and professional development. Shortly after she became very clingy and began to share very personal issues. What suggestions does anyone have? I suspected she needed therapy, but I am not a Doctor.

Hi Lisa,
When I encounter a student like this I immediately do a referral to the Student Services Office. This way I have another resource involved to make sure the student knows that my college is concerned about his/her welfare. The Student Services Office then can find the right kind of help that individual. This way I remain in a supportive role for the student and that individual can continue to come to class if able and wants to.
Gary

I have been put into this situation before as well. I am lucky enough to have a background in Cognitive Behavioral Coaching for adults geared toward correcting their thinking patterns regarding their perceptions so I was able to handle the situation quite easily without alienating the student. I have heard other instructors that have not been so lucky as I am. The most important factor, im my opinion, is that you have to realize the situation you have gotten into (eventhough you may ot have chosen to enter it), and professionally deal with it without alienating the student or losing your professionalism.

Should a student begin to give too much information or try to cross the personal/professional bounderies I tell them:

1)I empathize/sympathize with them/their situation. (so they know I am not simply blowing them off, people HATE others who try to "spin" them so as not to have to help)

2)I indicate their situaiton appears to need the services of someone the school has professionally equipped to deal with their situation and that I will make the referral for them to see said person if they choose. (I would suggest that you talk to you department head at the very least, even if they choose to "drop" the situation all together)

3)Then follow up with the student to ensure that they do not need anything in addition to the help you referred them to. (Let them know that you don't need any further information about the situation, but see if you can do anything to suppliment the help they are receiving. You increase the Human Factor this way.)

A word of warning to anyone new to instruction. The ED101 talkes about this briefly, but if you, as the instructor, allow yourself to get too personally involved, or lose professionalism by taking on too much of the students situation as your own, you will ultimatly lose the respect of the class and your authority to lead them as a professional.

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your comments about how to manage certain types of student behavior. This information is going to be very valuable to new instructors.
You make a key point about the relationship instructors have with their students. This area has to be handled in a very professional manner or all kinds of problems will come up. Every new instructor needs to think this area through as they are working with students.
Gary

Sorry, there was no personal involvment with the student. I do have common sense!

Sorry, there was no personal involvment with the student. I do have common sense!

Referrals to Student Services, while showing that compassion and concern exists, has been beneficial when encountering said issues.

A referral to Student Services is generally my starting point when I have student issues brought to my attention that fall outside my purview. This is a great way to inoffensively make the point that I am not equipped to help my students with their emotional issues. It is, of course, important to listen long enough to establish that they don't also have issues that are my problem, such as difficulty understanding parts of the reading.

Sign In to comment