Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Re: Effective Retention Strategies

Elizabeth,
Thank you for this excellent out line on how to increase the retention of students. If the students don't stay in school we can't help them. Instructors are the critical connection in keeping students coming to class and making progress toward their career goals.
Gary

Where do I access the outline?

I totally agree ,we have to keepthe students interested and show revelance to what they are going to do in the field.

Billy,
Not sure which outline you are referring to. Can you give me some more information and I will be glad to share what I have with you.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I sometimes forget students can be easily intimidated, I try to be approachable and to approach carefully when I get the feeling they are unsure of why they are here.

Adam,
Good point for us to remember. We don't think we are intimidating them but sometimes we do and they withdraw even farther. So we need to work on earning their respect and developing rapport with them as the course progresses.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I fully agree with this view Adam - when I remember that, then I remind myself to step back and remember what it was like for me when I was a student (long time ago)...

This is interesting, but my challenge is sometimes when I have had students who were taking a particular class only because they need it (requirement/core), rather than because they have an active interest in the subject matter.

For example, I've taught economics to nursing students who have mentioned that the subject had nothing to do with their field.

No matter how hard I may have tried to get them to relate the basic issues to their professional experience, it remained a challenge.

Any suggestions?

R,
I teach a similar course. They have to pass it before their can get their state certification so I understand where you are coming from. I don't have a single suggestion to offer but I can offer that you continue what you are doing and try to generate interest in the content through personal applications. I use role playing and case studies to illustrate the value of the course content. I also play games using the content. The students for the most part really get involved in these activities. There are some I don't reach and for them it is a very long course I would guess. I feel sorry for them in a way because in my college career I found there was always something I could learn from my instructor even if it wasn't in my field.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Thank you for this excellent out line on how to increase the retention of students. If the students don't stay in school we can't help them. Instructors are the critical connection in keeping students coming to class and making progress toward their career goals.

Karen,
Yes, they are. This is one of the reason I enjoy being a teacher. I get to help individuals achieve their career goals and shape their future. This is awesome!
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

the instructor must be realistic, believable, applicable too.The concepts he devises to the students must be realistic for there expectations.

Gary and class,

We typically reach out to students who miss time from class to let them know that we noticed their absence. This makes them feel as if someone cares.

Hannah,
This is so important. A little personal contact goes a long way in keeping students engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This is a good point. I like to bring my real world experience into the classroom, either as anecdotes or scenarios that the class can comment on.

Each student is different and has different experiences that can be explored if you give them an honest and equal opportunity to express themselves. I learn more from the students during their introductory phase of the first classroom meeting. Here is what I do as an ice breaker: I play a game called "Can you tell?" It involves the entire class taking a guess about my life experiences such as age, town from which I grew up, my likes and dislikes, whether I am religious or not, or whether I will be a fair and just grader in the class or whether I am rigid and stiff. It not only breaks the ice within the classroom but open the students up to give me more about themselves when it is their time to introduce themselves to the class.

I have found that due to my size and strength of my voice I can be very intimidating without even trying. I have used that knowledge to advise the students (adult) and make it a light subject that we can laugh about to a degree. This has worked to help the students realize I am human and though I should be taken seriously to let me know when they feel intimidated. So far we are working well as a team and have had many discussions on how I deal with this as they have noticed a similar tendency on their parts.

The first week is critical. I follow up on students who have not submitted their first assignment. Students sometimes register for class and then forget, or are intimidated by the thought of trying to learn something new. They may not be comfortable with the particular course.

Edward,
Good to hear. You are using your strengths to get you success while integrating the human factor into your teaching. This is a great balance to have.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

It is also at times a difficult ballance to maintain depending on how everyone is interacting at any one point in time.

Sign In to comment