Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rettention

Sometimes I find it very hardto convince a student to stay in school when there is no employment in the area to support him or their family.

I agree with James. It is very difficult to keep a student involved and committed to school when they believe that all their hard work will not be rewarded. If they do not believe that they will find a job to support their family they will not see the value in attending school. This is why it is extremely important to remain positive and make your student see the benefits and value to their continued education. We live in a society that wants immediate gratification, and we as instructors must show the student immediate results and the possibility of success in the real world.

I also agree it is difficult especialy the way the business is today. But we also have to take and put some positive spin on things. What they are learning in are classes they can work on other things like equiptment.There are always light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Michael,
I like your upbeat message. There is positive things happening in our work settings, we just have to look for them. You hit upon a key point when you mention transferring of skills sets. I think our students need to develop several skill sets so they can move a number of different directions if they need to.
Gary

Sign In to comment