Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a feeling of community within a small department

A way to get new students to feel like they are part of a community could be to get them involved with extra curricular activites that would be beneficial to their learning experience.

Sometimes it is tough to get commuter students to feel like they are part of a community. They come to school with an "all-business/no-nonsense approach."

Dan

Hi Dan,
Commuter students spend so little time on campus and when they are on campus it is to attend classes that it is hard to get them to become part of the community as you mentioned.
We have found success with getting them to feel more a part of the schooling process through the activities we have within the classes. Small group work, ice breakers and competitions help them get to know other students and the instructors. They start to build an identity with the class and student in it. They start to get more comfortable with the procedures used in the class and look forward to attending. It is a rather slow process but one that yields rewards for both the students and the instructors.
Gary

One way I find that most students, especially beginners, find a sense of community is when they have a question or need input on a design I try to find another instructor or senior student to help out. This way they get to know other people on campus and won't hesitate to ask questions.

One way I find that most students, especially beginners, find a sense of community is when they have a question or need input on a design I try to find another instructor or senior student to help out. This way they get to know other people on campus and won't hesitate to ask questions.

Sign In to comment