Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping Student Retention Up

I am constantly having to deal with Student Retention, as our program has the lowest in our college. The corporate office often is putting the blame on us, the instructors, as to why our retention is so low. I find something that works with every student no matter what their background, is to get to know them on a personal level and constantly show care and concern for what they are going through, in school and out. I know this was something mention in the module as well, and I can attest to it working. The students feel like they belong and they are not just in school but they are in an environment where we care about them succeeding and their education. I know some of the students deal with many different issues outside of school and they do not always receive the support they need to continue, so to receive this type of encouragement from their instructor is really motivating! It makes me happy to be doing what I am doing!

Hi Sandra,
Well said. Excellent advice. Rapport and caring are two ingredients to keeping students enrolled. From your comments it appears you are doing both. Keep up the good work.
Gary

personally I treat every single student as my own family member. Listen to them very carefully.
help them one by one. I always appreciate them for their work.

I totally agree with you that in getting to know the students -- their children's names, etc. -- goes a long way in keeping students in school. Because they come from various backgrounds, i.e. a mother, wife, child, problem marriage, etc., sometimes a teacher showing interest in them and their family may be the only personal interaction they may get that day. I usually have a long-standing friendship with my students as a result of this. Plus, they open up to trusting you as their teacher.

Sign In to comment