Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making the student feel important

One way of retaining a student that may seem very bored with the classroom experience, is maybe have them assist the instructor in his/her lesson for the day and express to them that they did a wonderful job with assiting.

Awesome, I agree.

I too agree. This would be great for students who need to make up hours, and it would be a great learning tool for them in assisting others. It would take the focus off the self and have them see that people are at there highest level when helping others.

Jo,

That is a great idea. Getting students involved is really important. Students really want to feel that their opinions matter. Most students just want to be able to express their feelings openly without being critizied or put off. They want to know that they matter. I think that your idea is a great way to make students feel that they matter.

As educators students are the center of education. Therefore it is my responsibility to collaborate with students gives concise explanation, recognition and promoting an adequate atmosphere in the classroom.

Hi Maria,
Well said! Sounds like you are a very student centered instructor and I know your students benefit from your caring.
Gary

I fully agree... The classroom may be the only time of the day when many non-traditional students receive positive recognition for their efforts. In a world where the only feedback a person may get is negative, the classroom is the best chance to bolster some self esteem and a feeling of competence.

HI Johnny,
Always keep that positive thought as you approach the students and I know they will benefit from your presence. Keep up the good work!
Gary

I sure will go with this idea of making the student feel important. I have done it and it has worked wonders. There are different ways of doing it. If the student is very good and has finished the practical earlier than I tell him to assist me in distributing things to others students, or I tell the student to help other students or at the start of the class I ask for volunters and called out the names who have not not been at their best and make them distribute one item each to the other student and I rotate the student for different jobs. As they get involved with the process they take more interest in the class. This really makes a lot of difference.Sometimes make them write on the board.

In my experience, the primary component of making students feel important is creating an environment that is important. If we set high classroom and performance standards (attainable and yet challenging), and then let students know that we believe and expect that they can reach those standards, students will most often respond by rising to the standard we have set.

Of course, students may complain about the "tough" teacher or the difficulty of the assignments; however, I have found that if students attempt difficult tasks and are able to succeed (note that I did not say that they are able to do them PERFECTLY), that the students gain respect for themselves and a sense of accomplishment that they would not have had if they had to perform simple or routine tasks that did not represent a challenge. As instructors, we should set the bar high, prepare students to reach it, encourage their efforts, and praise their outcomes.

Hi Susan,
Well said! You make a number of excellent points about standards and high expectations. This is what we do in the career college setting, prepare students for successful careers. Sometimes I think the students forget that that is the reason they are there. Through professional planning and leadership instructors can set the stage for successful learning. It sounds like you have captured the essence of this. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Making all students a part of daily activities is important and there input is needed to make each class a successfull learning event.

I actively seek out students for all sorts of strange and fun experiments in class. I will choose students I feel are starting to mentally wander during lectures. This helps to redirect their focus back into the class.

Personally I believe if the class is up beat, the students are more likely to stay open minded and retain the info in front of them.

Sign In to comment