Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Constant rewards for achievement...

I find that little rewards throughout the class lecture/interaction keep the students engaged and excited about the next chance to get a question correct. Quite often an "attaboy (or "attagirl") will go a long way towards student fulfillment and sense of achieivement.

I try to keep a sense of humor about me, as we enter difficult topics, as this keeps most students engaged...

Comments?

Hi Gregory,
Good comments about encouraging students. A must in teaching is a sense of humor due to the variety of experiences and situations that are encountered.

Even though the students are adults the use of games and other methods of reinforcing learning help generate excitement on the part of students. Don't be afraid of using them in your classes.
Gary

I agree with you. However once you understand the student, more personalized positive reinforcement goes a greater distance. Constant build ups like these improves the overall self esteem of the student.

James D

I completely agree with you as well. Often times I will refer back to a specific student by name when they have understood a concept and said "Well... Professor _____ can help you out with this concept" The students get a kick out of the fact I refer to them as the instructor. I try and make sure each student is the "teacher" at some point in the semester.

Hi Vipan,
I am sure your students enjoy your approach and benefit from your respect for their success.
Gary

In my class especially Medical Terminology i do spelling bees at the end of the course. i break the class into two teams. i tell them that the outcomes are that the winning team gets a pizza party. there will be an elimination round in which the student that has the most right answers will play each other in an elimination round which at the end the winner gets a 25 dollar gift card.
i don't want anyone to feel like they lost so at the end of the day i tell them they are all winners for the work they put in and the pizza party is for ALL!
After the completion of class tests and quizzes i usually put a smiley face or scratch in sniff sticker if the student has attained a 90 or above. There is always a competition of who has the big stickers. Although my class is of a mixed population at the end of the day everyone has a little childlike side to them.

Bindu Pillai

Hi Bindu,
Thanks for sharing these words of encouragement and how you motivate your students. You are right about everyone having a bit of child inside of them. They do enjoy being told they are doing well in a course and then getting pizza besides. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment