Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

personal recopgnition

By giving students personal attention it gives them empowerment and personal growth, but how do you master the art of catering to each student without having favorites.

Hi David,
When I have my students introduce themselves at the beginning of the course I gather some background information. This information then helps me to know what reinforcers really work for that student. These are the ones I use, beyond the general feedback that is given through comments and evaluations. This way I am customizing the reinforcement to each student without anyone being perceived as a favorite.
Gary

EACH STUDENT GETS A CHANCE TO DO THE EXACT SAME THING OVER THE PERIOD OF DAY SPENT WITH ME AND THROUGHOUT THE COURSE PERIOD SPENT WITH ME. EACH STUDENT GETS MY PERSONAL ATTENTION AND I REPEAT THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL AS WELL. EACH STUDENT GETS COMPLIMENTED AT THE END OF THE PERIOD ACCORDING TO WHAT OBSTACLE THEY ENCOUNTERED IN THAT DAY'S TRAINING; THAT WAY, NO ONE FEELS AS A FAVORITE. THIS GIVES EACH STUDENT A SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT AND MAKES HIM LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT CLASS SESSION.

Hi Gary:

I teach speech communications (among other things) and an activity I have found very useful in class is to pair the students up on day 1 and have then interview each other, then introduce their classmate. They can use notes and thay only have to speak for 60 seconds, so it's not too demanding. But it helps everyone engage from the first moment in class, and it helps me learn not only about the student being intriduced, but the speaking and level of attention to detail of the students doing the introductions. I have used this only in speech, but I am going to try in in my other classes as well.

John

Hi John,
Thanks for that "ice breaker". I have used this one as well and it really works. You can use it in any class setting. I like to use it in the career areas where one of the interview questions asks "Why did you select HVAC/Medical Assisting, etc. as your career area?" You get a very wide range of answers for sure.
Gary

Hi Gary,
Since I usually have a full class, it's important for me to know their names and the level of experience in the field, if any. The first thing that I do, at the beginning of each quarter, is to pass out a questionaire regarding who they are, their level of experience and the type of computer platform and relative software that they are using. Also, I have made a diagram of the students seating positions, which they usually keep throughout the course, and memorize their names.
Thanks

I try to vary my classes so that they are not too predictable or routine, but a given is that I meet with every student over every paper, even giving them points for telling me what they would change if they were to do the papers over. The students seem to appreciate the one-on-one, according to evaluations.

Sign In to comment