Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As instructors, what advice would you give to an administrator in approaching retention issues with instructors?

Hi Joyce,
Somehow your forum response did not get into Forum 2. Would you please send it again so that we may start a discussion on the topic.
Thank you.
Gary

Joyce,
Administrators can play a key role in Retention. If you are who I think you are then you run a l Court Reporting School where retention is always a major issue. Have your teachers turn in a weekly tests passed for Theory and speed building students. Share this information with administrators who can seek out these students in the hall or in class and give them a "Hey I heard you passed a 160 lit last week good job!"
This wiil give motivation and help with retention.

Hi Jon,
You gave some very good advice. Thanks for the exchange.
Gary

It is more than numbers, retention is required for a sucessful bottom line that is given, but there is always a cost involved. Is it the fault of the instructor, curriculum or policies. Students may have "expectation" issues, they hear key phrases like "job opportunities, good money, etc" what they do not hear is the amount of work, and commitment required to get these opportunities.

Up to date curriculum is a big retention factor for students along with up to date instructors.

First of all and foremost I really do feel that an administrator should be teaching at least one course per term. So that they can experience on a regular basis, many of the issues we face as instructors within the classroom.

As an administrator I have often had the opportunity to address retention issues with instructors. One of the key elements that I shared with them is that in order to be successful in the classroom as a relates to retention it is often necessary to bring your material down to the student level and then raise the class up to your level. In order to accomplish this task it forces the instructor to analyze their delivery methods and instructional procedures that they have been using. They may find that what they have been using traditionally no longer is effective in today's society.

Sometimes instructors find it difficult to relate with many adult student concerns, they forget that adult students generally speaking are not satisfied unless they are getting A's in the course. I feel it is the responsibility of the instructor to reach out to the students and help them in whatever manner it takes the study habits, keeping them from being overwhelmed, and understanding up to a point the issues they face at home.

Hi William,
You make a number of excellent points about how to approach the classroom. With this type of planning your students will know they are in for quality instruction during the coming course.
Gary

The administrators should recognize that it takes a different type of person to train mechanics (for instance) than to be a mechanic. Technical expertise is a must, but teaching is a different craft. Administrators should value the soft skills of the instructors realize that a cadre of instructors are the biggest influence on the retention of students.

Hi Charles,
Yes, instructors have a dual purpose in their instructional offerings. They are offering technical instruction and the opportunity to acquire soft skills in the process. Without the soft skills the students are not going to be as successful in their careers.
Gary

Sign In to comment