Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention keys for multicultural students retention

It is evident that we can apply all topics discussed in this module for the retention of any type of students that we are serving. An interesting question that comes to my mind at this moment would be if there are specific keys to enhance retention with multicultural background students? What will it take from the instructor to meet international students needs in term of retention? From my professional point of view, professors and other related professionals must get some kind of special training regardin mulicultural awareness to deal with this specific population. In the other side "human factor" will be kept the same no matter the student cultural background.

Hi Lorna,
As instructors we need to be aware of how different cultural backgrounds affect how students approach learning. My experience has shown me that certain cultures are family based and the student is driven to succeed for the sake of the entire family. Others, are more individual in their desire for learning success. Yes, we all need to have some information about the students that are entering our classes. This way we can help the students to succeed and focus on the supports they need.
Gary

One of our campuses has a high enrollment of multicultural students. It is a challenging but very positive experience for everyone. Every module grants the instructor "teaching moments" to learn more about a student's culture, how it will affect or help them in their career. Growth and understanding on both sides, whether canadian born or not, has helped the students to grow with each other and learn more empathy and understanding.

Sign In to comment