Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

get each student to talk amoungest each other

Usually network design classes are the most boring classes for most of my students. To make it mor fun, I divide my students in to several groups. I provide them with some design challenges. I let the groups discuss and create their solution. Then we start a debate between groups for a wining document. As far as i can see most of my students learn much faster.

Hi Omer,
Good plan for involving your students. It is amazing how competitive student groups can become when they are given a challenge.
What type of design challenges have you found to be the most effective with your students?
Gary

When you find students that have mastered the subject or task I find that useing those students to help ones that are having trouble with the subject to be very usefull. The interaction of there fellow students instructing them in there own words, with supervision, has a remarkable effect on there understanding of the subject. Learning blocks seem to fall away and you see the light bulbs start going on.

I use the equivalent of an online discussion board. Students are required to respond to an open ended question and then respond to one of their peer’s post. The exercise usually takes 30 minutes. Students are in the same room at the same time. The discussion is usually very lively. They are a cohort group. I have only had to close one thread due to excessive enthusiasm. Not surprisingly the most profound post comes from the most reticent student.

Hi Frank,
Way to bring out the thoughts of your reticent students. Alternative communication methods certainly help them to voice their opinions and add to the discussion without scaring them too much in the process. Good job.
Gary

Frank,
I really like this idea. Students LOVE online chat forums....why not use them in class?!

It doesn't surprise me at all that your quiet students end up sharing the most profound responses. People who love to talk may think quiet people aren't involved. It's hard for them to realize that involvement isn't always demonstrated through talking. Thinking is another form of involvement. I feel that you've created a way for everyone to use their voice.
Beth

I teach Medical classes - I use the small group discussions/study also. Then, each group is required to get up in front of the class and present their part of the information making sure each of the students presents something of the information. If I notice someone is not taking place in the presentation, I try to ask that person a specific question. While alot of student may voice their opinion that HATE getting up in front of the class, they DO all participate. I also make sure the class then shows the proper apprecaition for their bravery before the class.

Hi Elise,
Good way to draw out contributions from every class member. The small groups helps them to discuss the topic and then the large group presentations helps them to gain confidence in their newly acquired knowledge as they share it with other.
Gary

Sign In to comment