Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Utilizing experience and passion

I strongly agree that utiling your passion and experience is essential to motivating your students. I use this method constantly to connect with my students.

Todd,
I like being around individuals that have a passion for their field and are excited about sharing it. You are displaying both with your students and the result is that they see the value and relevance of what you are teaching them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When I find that my students passion is suffering a bit, I holt what we are working on and get them to refocus themselves. One technique I like is make them write in there own words, what they want after they graduate and what they want there life to look like in there new career. Works for me everytime, the next day they seem alive and motivated. I personally believe that everybody should do this once in a while so that we don't forget why we do what we do.

I loved my career and now being able to teach it to other is ALMOST a dream job. It shows in my lecture and most of my students really appreciate that. I try to limit my "war stories" to the relevant topic as not to interfere with coarse material .

Rob,
First congratulations on being able to share your knowledge and skills with the next generation entering your field. This is an opportunity that few people get to experience. The sharing of your war stories is a great way to connect the content to application and relevancy so keep sharing them, but with the caution you mention in your comments.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A number of my students are motivated through my experience as a handyman and remodeling homes. I share a lot of the math I teach through the lens of saving money through home projects. I am now in the process of interviewing other instructors to find out what math they use in their fields. I will use this as well to show relevancy of the math content.

John,
This is how both relevance and application is provided to students. Your experiences in the remodeling industry gives you all kinds of examples to share with them and help math come alive. Your idea of surveying the other instructors is a good one because then your students will see that math has no boundaries and is used in every aspect of their lives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment