Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Immediate feedback

In my hands-on studio classes,I like to provide feedback to the students as soon as their assignment concludes. The majority of the feedback tends to be positive,but I do sprinkle in some constructive criticism if a student had a particularly tough day. My students look forward to these sessions and I enjoy meeting with them while their work is still fresh.

Terry,
We all like to know where we are in relation to an effort we have put forth. Your model gives them immediate feedback so they can benefit from your input while fresh in their minds. Good strategy.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The importance of timely feedback/return of assignments is to also allow students to know what they have right, and what they need to develop further. Waiting weeks for return of assignments students could continue to think incorrect answers/learning is correct, and improperly build on that "wrong learning"

Beth,
Good point and this is why quick turn around on assignments and tests is so important. The students need to know what they are doing both right and wrong in the course so they can continue to move forward in their learning.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I try to get the tests corrected and lead a group discussion the day they are given.

I do shorter tests every week, making it easier to do this :)

Ann,
Good for you. Students like to receive feedback quickly after completing a test or project. By returning them promptly they can build on their successes and over come their mistakes.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Ann,

I have chosen to give small frequent exams and quizzes for the same reason. I also like to return the exams and go through the exam and give the correct answers. By doing so I have noticed this allows the students to help each other with their own studying methods. It's great to hear all the different responses for the students on how they "got that one". By doing this, it's easier to identify the students who are really having a tough time and the ones who are just truly not getting it or just confused.

I think that this is a good idea. I am going to use this idea in my class in order to improve the feedback response time. I use rubrics to help with the scoring of essays and also as a tool to show the students what is expected of them. The rubrics seem to help relieve the amount of stress that they have.

I've found that quick feedback is what my students like best. I'm sure to grade and return tests ASAP, which often means they see scores the same day. I like that they can see what they missed while it's still fresh in their minds. I also post grades to the online portal so that they always know where they stand in my class. This prevents and miscommunication and keeps the student on track.

Zelda,
I am a big fan of rubrics as well. As you mention they are so helpful in working with students and showing them where they need to focus their efforts.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Lauren,
I support your efforts big time. I do the same thing and the results are great. The quick turn around on evaluating tests and projects sends a very important message to the students about how you value what they are doing and that you are there to help them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I really agree. I always strive to have student work graded very promptly. Students really look forward to feedback, sometimes individually, and often in a group discussion.

Just to add to your point, immediate feed back and counselling can help to boost students hope and morale, which can increase student retention.

John,
Right you are about immediate feedback and the value that can be derived from it. Students really appreciate knowing as soon as they can how they are doing in the course, quiz or project.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree.
Usually I give immediate feedback for my studendts.It can be verbal, check the quiz at the same day or body language during the lecture or laboratory class.

Students love it they listen to you because they want to be awarded and they do not want to miss anything in class.

Sign In to comment