Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating students

I have always known that encouraging students, complimenting and giving the props for at least trying and asking them to study a little more on a daily a little at a time; then to review a few times before class or an exam.

It works for me.

I find a smile and kind words go a long way with my students.

This is very true. Everyone benefits from motivation and reinforcement. Sometimes even the smallest of gestures make a huge difference.

Are you the Michelle Davis I know?
Denny

Once I had a professor of adult education who believed that coming in early and shaking hands with them when they came into a training was important.

I have done that at time, particularly on the first meeting with a new group. Then, I have simply walked around to greet them.

Last week, one adult participant gave me a huge compliment when she said that I was very aware of their needs (break time). What strategies can we use to make sure we stay aware?

Martha Moore

Martha,
I call this learning by walking around. Your effort to be there early and talk individually with the students gives you an idea of the pulse of the class that day. With this information in mind you can then plan your interaction to be responsive to the mood of the class. I use the same model and it works really well for me and I am able to develop rapport with the students while earning their respect.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Gary,
The "walk around" you describe can also help us make some informal assessments, for frequently they will tell us something that is confusing to them in private. Or, they may make a request to review something--such as one of the "assumptions" the Harvard group refers to in the clip.

Martha

I like to encourage students through words, but I also like to try to write encouragement down once a session for each of my students. I do compliment students throughtout the learning process, but I also find it meaningful to write things down as well.

I keep in touch by watching their expressions, body language, and their level of involvement. I can usually tell when a break is needed or when someone has a question.

Hi Kathy,
This is true, just in case I miss that, sometimes I give someone a "break" card to hold up as signal. Others can notify that person to hold it up.

Martha Moore

Martha,
You make a good point about the walk around benefits. There are so many benefits of being in and among the students throughout the class. We, instructors need to absorb what we are observing and hearing and then apply it to our methods for reaching each student.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Darlene,
This extra effort is important to students. I commend you for doing this. This sends a powerful signal that you are there for them and will provide the support needed for success if they will put forth the effort.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Kathy,
Good job of "reading" your students. We need to be on the lookout for the signals and respond accordingly. This way we will be able to provide support at the time it is needed most.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

the walking around and making eye contact suggestion is something that works for my classes. they seem to open up and are more willing to make an effort on difficult activities when i do this.

It's true, as long as you show a positive attitude, the students will also. Let the students know that you are there for them.

June,
What are some ways you demonstrate your positive attitude to your students?
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I agree but also just a short well done , the lab went well, Great questions and effort helps also. This lets them know you were aware of there efforts.

I have found that letting them know if they get an answer wrong in class when having a discussion that it is okay. I reward participation and trying. I believe it helps the other students to know I will not shoot you down I will explain why their answer is in- correct and we will work towards the correct answer.

Traci,
Being wrong in the classroom is OK because it is a learning environment. The purpose of the session is to help them grow in their knowledge. So by discussing their answers and explaining what makes the answer correct helps everyone.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Appropriate rewards: verbal, written, candy, dollar bills, pizza for the group and snacks for morning classes can all go along way toward motivation. Students NEVER have enough money, gasoline AND they are always hungry! (Maslow?)

William,
Food is a valuable motivator no matter the age of the students. My adult students work very hard for our pizza parties just like my middle school students did.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment