Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

real life experience reinforces ideas

I have found that a relevent real life story, particularly involving successful people that the students are of, that reinforces an idea helps students retention of ideas and concepts.

I've had success in using life experiences and outrageous examples to reinforce concepts.

Hi John,
"Making it real" is critical for students. By sharing your life experiences with them you are doing just that. Good strategy.
Gary

James, I agree. I am a crime scene investigator and love teaching that topic so that students receive the real deal in the world of CSI. The expectations of students based on TV is not realistic, so when they are done with a course I have taught they truly know if it is what they want. I do not believe in wasting time and always keep in mind of their career objectives when teaching any and all of my students. Sharon

I am an automotive instructor and I always try to share real life experiences good and bad with all my students.I feel that lets them know that its ok to fail sometimes,the important thing is to try and learn from your mistakes.

Response to Ernesto, I agree so much with your point about making mistakes. Why not teach someone else how not to make the mistakes you made. As a crime scene investigator I remember all the mistake I have made and wish someone had taught me prior to them. But I will say that many situations were avoided because someone did teach me the right way. Great post. Sharon

By applying real life examples, you are not only reinforcing the idea, you are also giving a meaning to the idea as well.
This I beleive, makes the difference. Each student will adapt that process and apply it to the learning idea.

Hi Marcelo,
You are right on with your use of real life examples. This helps your students to see application and relevancy to what they are learning. These examples also help to establish you as the expert in the classroom since you have had these experiences or know of them.
Gary

I AGREE BUT YOU NEED TO BE CAREFULL, SOME TIMES THE CLASS GET OUT OF ITS COURSE

I AGREE, I HAVE BEEN IN THE CULINARY INDUSTRY FOR MANY YEARS AND I SHARE A LOT OF MY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE WITH MY STUDENTS AND IT REINFORCES WHAT WE ARE TEACHING THEM, IT GIVES ANOTHER ANGLE OF VALIDATION TO THE REASON THEY ENROLLED IN THE SCHOOL.

I have been in the Culinary field for all of my working years. As a Educator, I help students enhance their competencies skills by telling them about my expierences, both sucesses and downfalls. I sometimes tell them about when I was a Student/ Aprentice and find a common ground to build off of.
Paul Zdanis

Hi Paul,
Good strategy. Many students forget that every instructor they have once was a student experiencing the very same things they are currently going through. This helps to make you real and helps them to understand that you understand their situation.
Gary

Sign In to comment