Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructors are human too

Motivating students as well as myself can most challenging from time to time. However what I have learned to do is reflect on the positive of class growth kwonlegde wise & my growth as an instructor, and refocus from there to achieve the goals .

This sounds a lot like what I do. I try to keep it positive. I don't focus on the fact that a certain percentage are not getting it but rather that a great percentage is.

By doing this i can then figure out why it works fo rsome but not others and then craft something to address those others.

Hi Richard,
This is the part of instructional planning that is a must. Sensing where the students are at and then adjusting the activities to meet their learning needs. Also, fun because it lets you use your creativity in teaching.
Gary

we need to continue to focus on the students that are not understanding and we will be able to continue to grow as instructors when we can reach those having concerns.

Hi Darren,
By helping the students that are not grasping the concepts we are presenting we are gaining experience on how to help other students that we will have in the future. That is a part of our professional development. You make a good point.
Gary

Remembering that no two classes of students are the same, despite having to learn the same material, is important to keep in mind because it will help guide the instructor on how to present the material to each class of different students.

Darren,

I find that I am most motivated when I have struggling students that come to me for help. I tell each and every class the times I am available to help them. It's the ones that are struggling who are too stubborn to get help that wear me out the most. I LOVE helping a student understand a concept. I teach culinary math and it's not a class that the students are eager to take nor do they take it seriously. I try to explain it in terms of money and sometimes that catches their attention.

Sign In to comment