Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Motivation; nontradition students vs traditional students

Often times I can use students that are older and that have been in the work force to add clarity to the expectations that the younger students act and be professional. Students tend to believe each other more readily than the instructor even though the instructor may be very competent and experienced. Is this a tendency in all career school education? Do you think it is because they are older or because they are from the selected peer group ?

Hi Steve,
Instructors are expected to voice the fact that students need to dress, act and perform in a professional manner. Much like "Moms" are suppose to tell their kids that they need to eat their vegetables, it is part of their and our duty. Instructors come under the same kind of thinking. When someone who has been out there and has experience tells them something they listen. This is why guest speakers are so effective especially if they are graduates from the program.
Also, as you well know life experiences and maturity do have a role to play in working with younger students. I am always amazed when students realize that each of us have earned our living working in the career area for which we are preparing them. We didn't just drop into the classroom one day and start talking. After a guest speaker often my students will tell that speaker said the same thing that you have been telling us. Duh!!!!
Gary

Hi Dr. Meers,

I have always had guest speakers come, but you have a great point about having someone who has already gone through the program. I'll be making some phone calls to some old students!

Hi Perry,
Glad you got a helpful tip from the course. Always good to hear that you have been a help to someone.
Gary

You may be able to do this with students who are at the end of their education, talk to the ones in the begining to give advise and tools to the ones who are just starting.

I agree allowing students to interact with there own experiences I find is very helpfull in creating a learning enviroment

Mixing the ages is almost always a win win. Other coments about freash students talking to seasoned students is another great tool. This can be used in many areas and has been an aid in retention for us.

Hi Leslie,
Good to hear about the positive experiences you have had in mixing different ages and career experiences of your students. That has been my experience as well. Everyone had been able to learn from each other. Great exposure for all.
Gary

I myself was a non-traditional student, and many of the students came to me for advise. I agree.

Hi Lori,
How were you able to help non-traditional students since you were one yourself? What were the key rapport points you established with such students?
Gary

As a supervisor I see students that have time or grade or behavior issues. I tend to turn the counseling sessions with a time concern into a mock job interview. I often start out with a statement of convince me why I should hire your with this much time missed, how do I know you will be dependable. If it is a dress or behavior issue I will ask them how can I put you in front of a high profile customer looking or acting the way you do. I try to get them to understand that impressions can make or break them out in the real world. Try to get them to understand that success is apckage with several parts that must all fit together to work properly

Hi Richard,
I really like your strategy. You are not only helping the students to improve their professional development but give them methods through which reflect the professional they want to develop into.
Good job!
Gary

I will listen to student conversions & some times they are way out in left field with there thinking. I will bring up the subject in class & go from there. some times a good debate will follow. what really helps set there thinking straight is when an older student that has experance on the subject jumps in to the conversation. then they start to listen.

Hi Bob,
This is an excellent use of a variety of resources available to you. The questioning and responding to questioning technique is a good way of generating discussion and covering areas of your lecture that need some additional attention. Also, by using the experiences of your older students you are able to create a connection between the different age ranges within your class as well as helping the younger students to see the value of life experiences from your older students.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Gary

I have had teachers in my family and they have worked in one room schools. And have talked to many peers whom have all felt that there are great advantages to equipping
Students to help other students in a class room setting. There is no greater motivator
Then to feel a part of a greater good.

Hi Jeff,
This is a good point. Students generally like helping each other to work through problems and complete common projects. This also helps them in their learning because they use the information twice. Once in learning it and once in sharing it with another student. Give greater knowledge retention.
Gary

Sign In to comment