Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My method of motivating students..

I find that I can motivate students by demonstrating my expertise, but not in an intimidating way. My course is about music theory/composition/MIDI production. As I demonstrate at the piano, or through listening analysis of audio examples, I find that students will be encouraged to duplicate my skills.

This must be handled carefully, to prevent discouragement among those prone to it.

Any thoughts on my method?

Hi Gregory,
You are right on with your method. You are sharing and demonstrating so they can see both expertise and application. Both of which are desired outcomes for learners.
Gary

I also show students the skills I have gained. I use demonstrations all the time so that students will repeat the steps I use, and I think it helps to SHOW them rather than explain to them. This works with most students, and though there are a few who are prone to lower self-esteem and get discouraged I think it's worth doing in the long run.

Hi Trang,
Any time you can combine the different senses and learning preferences to achieve student involvement you are making progress. Many times I have found that students with lower self-esteem issues start to develop self confidence when they become in the application phase of the course. They see they can actually do the work even though they didn't think they could.
Gary

This works for me also, my class is about the music business. I relate my personal experiences in the forty years I've worked in the music business, showing students where I was successful and where I failed.

I let students watch the DVD and let each one focus on one section and when the subject matter is over I get them reanact the whole thing and discuss at the end of the class the, to motivate them the importance of subject matter

My method of motivating my students is when everever they start to learn a particle skill I praise verbally. I am an instructor for learning how to back and drive a tractor trailer. I show my students how to do the maneuver and then I walk along side and give instruction as they are trying to do it.

Sign In to comment