Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating students

I motivate my students by writing quotes on their completed assignments or aharing quotes with them to encourage them throughout the course.

What is another method, which I could use to motivate my students?

Hi Michele,
Good idea about motivating students. There are many things you can do. I am always amazed at how much I can get out of my students if I give the food. We set goals and when we meet them we have a little party. Doesn't take much time but it allows the students to relax and then refocus back on the learning that is needed.
Verbal praise and support is always good as you well know.
Gary

I provide true success stories about previous students. This tends to expose the possibility of success for them as well.

James D

Hi James,
Nothing builds success more than examples of success. Sharing those success stories I know help your students see how they can make progress in your course and their career.
Gary

I too agree, what a motivator food can be! I will surprise them with treats when we have accomplished goals or milestones. For example, when a rough draft of a paper was due, I brought in cupcakes; sometimes I even order pizza. They love it!

I too agree, what a motivator food can be! I will surprise them with treats when we have accomplished goals or milestones. For example, when a rough draft of a paper was due, I brought in cupcakes; sometimes I even order pizza. They love it!

Hi Vipan,
You never can go wrong with food. Nice blend of instruction with social interaction through food.
Gary

I find that a nice reward for hard work put in by my students is a pot luck after a big test. This helps motivate my students to do a good job the next time around.

Hi Cristine,
Sound great! Count me in for the next one. There is something about setting around a table talking and eating that helps reduce stress plus helps to create rapport with yourself and other students.
Good strategy.
Gary

Sign In to comment