Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating students

I loved the Crisis game mentioned in this section.

What are some key ways of motivating career students?

What are some ways of reinforcing general education course material such as English Composition?

Hi LaTunya,
The major way to provide motivation for career college students is through rapport. If you have rapport with your students they know that you care about them and their success. They won't want to disappoint you. Another way is through progress. By giving them feedback immediately about their progress they can see they are moving toward their career goal. Everyday life has a way of breaking into the lives of your students and taking them away from their focus of career training. Feedback that lets them know they are having success really helps them to keep on track.
Gary

When you are teaching Gen Ed courses there is always a challenge as Career College students are not as motivated in these subjects as they are in their Major subjects or lab classes.
Try explaining the importance of a well rounded education. In the case of some of our students an English test is required for every applicant applying for a Closed Captioning position. If they do not pass the test the company wiil not hire them.

If they think it will help them land that first job they will be motivated to learn. Any ideas you can share on making proofreading or English more
interesting?

I think to motivate students in learning consistently from the beginning of the classes, it is the key of success in teaching Math. and Physics. To teach Math. and Physics courses there is always a challenge for the teacher. If you can establish a fair relation with your students, they will know that you care about them and try to make them successful.
Viorel Florescu

Hi Viorel,
Well said. Student rapport will do much to help students to stay focused and engaged in the learning process.
What are some of the methods you employ to establish relationships with your students?
Gary

The basic method used in the Math. classes by me, is to put students to solve as many exercises as they can, after I solved one or two my self on the board. The presentation of the new mathematical concepts will take only 15 -20 min. at the beginnig of the four hours.
In the case of Physics classes my favorite method is to alternate the lecture presentation with same simple experiments performed in front of the class.
Viorel Florescu

Sign In to comment