Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Ah-ha" moments

When we deal with mature students, their level of confidence in retaining information usually starts off low. When they get comfortable in the environment, realize that the instructor and staff are truly on their side, the improvement is quick.

We celebrate "ah-ha" moments, as they truly do motivate the student to continue. From donuts to a free coffee from the vending machine to just a high five, pat on the back or thumbs up, we let that student know we are proud.

How do you celebrate the "ah-ha" moments for a student?

Hi Suzanne,
Much the same way you do. The individual reinforcement is very powerful. For them to know that the instructor is proud of them and is willing to tell them so is a great reward.
We also celebrate "ah-ha" monents with milestone parties. When serveral students reach a certain level of competence we have a pizza party, maybe a potluck it depends on what the students want. We have had royalty parties for those students with "ah-ha" moments. The key is momentary recognition and them collective recognition. This way our students get two opportunities for recognition. There are not set rules just great opportunities to tell the students they are progressing.
Gary

i usually buy my students one free smile. :)

IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT IF YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE STUDENTS "AH-HA" MOMENT WITH PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS YOU HAVE DESCRIBED, IT GIVES THEM THE WILLINGNESS TO CONTINUE AND TO SHARE HIS EXPERIENCE WITH HIS FELLOW STUDENTS. HE SHARES HIS THOUGHTS ON WHAT FINALLY MADE THAT PARTICULAR SUBJECT CLEAR WITH OTHERS AND IT GIVES HIM SELF CONFIDENCE AND THE NEED FOR MORE LEARNING. STUDENTS LOOK FOR THAT "THUMBS UP" AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WHAT THEY ARE LEARNING BECOMES EASIER.

When students have "ah-ha" moments I celebrate along with them. I let them know how proud I am of them and as a class we may celebrate with a pizza party. I think this boosts their confidence.

Hi Beverly,
I know these types of celebrations make a difference in the students. Everyone shares in the celebration and they are aware of how proud you are of their progress.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

"Ah-ha's" are a way of letting me know that I'm getting across to the students in a crystal clear manner. I thrive on this and will continue to celebrate with them.

Hi Susan,
Well said. This is what teaching is all about. Those times when it all comes together and the light bulb comes on.
Gary

Dear Dr. Meers

We need to also keep in mind that sometimes it takes much time, work, patience,sweat and tears before the "ah-ha" happens. But it's always a glorious time for our students and ourselves.

We laugh and discuss their experiences and we talk about how they have achieved their goals. I also give a PASS for a small assignment for those that get awarded

Hi Susan,
Well said. This is what keeps us coming back to the classroom/laboratory each day. Waiting for and getting that "ah-ha" moment. What a great feeling for both the student and ourselves.
Gary

Dear Suzanne,

For many adult learners in Postsecondary schools, they never really knew or experienced what an "ah-ha" moment was or represented during their past education experiences. For the adult learner to learn to recognize their own personal "ah-ha" moment, brings to the surface what we as instructors strive for, the success of just one building block of achievement by any student. Knowing by our own experience, this one "ah-ha" achievement is followed by many more thereafter, we realize what the future now holds for that student.

As many are the celebrations noted, which are great ideas I might add, student achievement is a great motivator for both the student and the instructor. The student is often motivated to push onward for a higher level of achievement and recognition, while the instructor is motivated because the student's achievement has just validated his/her teaching efforts. A "WIN-WIN for both sides!

David Hall

Suzanne:
I celebrate those "Ah-ha" moments (and there seem to be many) with a knowing smile and a congratulations as I have also been there myself.

Even though we instruct adults - they love stickers. They are inexpensive and I use appropriate stickers for the times of the year - like: for fall pumpkins and leaves, winter would be snowflakes and snowmen etc.

I rejoice in seeing the students' self-esteem soar.

Beth in Texas

Hi Beth,
I commend you for your efforts in bringing variety and ah-ha to your classroom. Right you are, no matter the age students like recognition and feedback for what they are doing. Keep it up and both you and the students will enjoy being a part of the course.
Gary

I grin. It's a very satisfying moment when I see the light bulb go on and the student suddenly become bubbly and enthusiastic and "Oh My God! I can now solve some big problem or attain my goals" type of comment.

Hi Roger,
These moments are why we keep coming back to the classroom. It is worth it to have an impact on the lives of our students.
Gary

Sign In to comment