Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Empathy

I have found that empathy and understanding can go a LONG way as long as you set boundaries and recognize those students that abuse it.

Hi Deana,
You are right on target with this statement.
Gary

Students are the same as we are only we have more correct training than they do.

Hi Luther,
Can you explain further your statement about students and faculty? How do you see students and faculty being the same and what differences do you think there are?
Gary

Absolutely

I completely agree, sometimes if you are too empathetic the students tend to take advantage!

Too much empathy can go a long way in losing a student.

Deana,

I would have to agree with you. There are times when empathy can go a long way. I believe that in life "things happen" and we need to understand that. There are some that will probably take advantage of our empathy, but it is our job to recognize them and stop it before they abuse it.

It is a complicated issue. It seems that everyday I have the same students standing before me complaining that they have missed classes because of sick children, allergies, transportation problems, family deaths etc.... I want to be caring, but on th eother hand I do not want to be manipulated.

This leads to the problem of treating everyone in the same manner. As soon as you are seen as giving anything "extra" to one student, others will insist that they are entitled to the same treatment. Of course from my point of view, a student who has not missed any classes for weeks or even months and has a good average appears more sympathetic than one is is frequently missing and seems to stretch the truth.

Sometimes I just want to say, "maybe this isn't the right time in your life to be seeking further education" rather than allowing the same student another final chance and frustrating the student's classmates. On the other hand, I sympathize with students who do have barriers in place.

Deana,

I agree.

Also, I've found that students appreciate instructor empathy and flexibility and this is a positive motivator for them.

Recognizing abuse is important, as well as properly dealing with real situations.

absolutely agree

Your right
The thing is to dishtinguish between real problems and ones that they are trying to get by you

Agreed. I am very empathetic -- I get how "life happens" (especially here in chaotic, dramatic Southern California!) and try to find creative ways to make it work for the student while maintaining the class standard. Having said that, I have sensed when a student thinks he or she can coast on that empathy.

Sign In to comment