Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

THE PRIMARY REASON

I feel that as educators and instructors we must never lose sight of the fact that the students are the reason why we choose to teach , to help them reach and attain there goals and ultimately improve the quality of ther life through education.And the sense of pride that comes from knowing that we as educators and instructors are a key part of them fullfilling ther dream.

I agree...students are the reason that I teach. I tell my students the very first class session that I am there for them, that I will do what ever I can to help them be successful. I tell them "if they will do their part then I will do mine" that sems to make them happy and they try harder if they know from the begining that I am on their side.

I agree that the students are the reason why we chose to teach and why we remain in the classroom. It is the greatest motivator for both the instructor and the student when we actually see the student reach that moment of understanding. Success breeds success.

As humans we all like to be heard and share our experiences. I had a mentor tell me years ago that everyone can learn something from the experiences of others. I have tried to keep that in mind in my career and have found that teaching and sharing our experiences is the most rewarding thing possible.

I like this comment and believe it 100%. I think we need to frequently remind students why we choose the path we do as instructors.

I have found that even though these students often struggle with learning material, for the most part, they have no trouble reading us, their instructors. They know whether or not we enjoy teaching them, whether or not we know our subjects, and, more importantly, they know whether or not we like and respect them. Subsequently, they respond accordingly. Students who have struggled with success throughout their lives with learning and school, can be motivated simply by realizing they are liked and appreciated.

Tammy,
You are right on with your comments about them reading us and our involvement in the learning process. We have to bring our A game to the class each time it meets.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment