Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor's Are Human

It is important to remember that instructors are human and in adult education we are teaching our peers of all ages. I have found that the more "real" I am and relatable to my students, the better my course outcomes are. They need to see us as human and not unreachable so that they are not scared to ask for help or assistance when needed. I believe one of the biggest attributes of a teacher or human being is to be approachable.

Ashlyn,
The human factor is critical for student success. Yes, being approachable helps to get students engaged in the learning process because they feel they have someone they can relate to and is there to help them be success if they will put forth the needed effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I totally agree with that Ashlyn. I think it is even more so when you are instructing students to enter into a specified field of which you have experience with. The students have to realize that it is a learning process and seeing that the instructor is human and approachable makes for a safe and more secure learning environment.

I feel it is very important to relate to the students. We were all in their shoes one day. Sharing personal experiences with situations makes the students feel more connected to you and the subject.

Briana,
This is the human factor in teaching and it is what keeps us educators coming back to the classroom and lab. Student interaction and the earning of their respect goes a long way in helping to create rapport and student engagement. It is when this occurs that teaching is really exciting and fun.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

im a welder that teaches welding I try to make them feel like im just one of the guys and that they can ask me anything

Ashlyn,

Excellent point! I agree completely. I tell my students at least once a week that I am human and make mistakes so if they have any questions to please ask. This may seem obvious but they seem to appreciate me acknowledging my fallibility.

As this is my first year of teaching it was the first thing I told my students. Asked them to give me some slack and lots of feedback as I want to be a great teacher, but without them I wouldn't be teaching anything. They have now come to expect "is there anything I could be doing differently?"

The school have what you would call "different" students. They are non-traditional students but have the same goals and aspirations as traditional students. I try my best to use parts of my life when providing examples of different concepts and subjects in class. I try to be as real as possible with the students to open that door for them to realize that I am there to help them only. not to look down on them.

I remember the teachers I had that related to me personally. I try to relate to students on the personal level usually early on in the term to find out what their interests and life goals are. By considering the human aspect of the teaching process, we can make connections with students and learn what it is that motivates them.

Sign In to comment