Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

focus on students

How do we keep a student motivated who has very low self esteem?

Rebecca,
I set up my classes to give early and frequent mini-successes in my class. This way they see they can actually pass the course if they put forth the effort and this helps to build their self esteem.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Hi Mrs. Picasio!

There are a two concepts that I find useful, that I used to motivate my employees, called the Pygmalion Effect. The Pygmalion Effect emphasizes that the postive and high expectations of the supevisor, in this case the instructor, to help mold the expectations that the individual hold for their own performance. Basically, be a role model, always act as if you have high self-esteem. I have found this, along with positive reinforcement and feedback to be benefical in improving self-esteem and increasing motivation.

...deep emotional problem rooted in what Dr. John Bradshaw calls "Less-Than-Human Shame". Essentially, the thinking error comes from how a person gains significance by being ultimately insignificant - and not in a semi-spiritual way like what is taught in some Far East religions. In other words, they "one-up" by showing how insigificant they are (which creates a deeper issue).

Shame brings about feelings of worthlessness and when these people come to an academic environment they don't feel like they can (or are worthy) to achieve. A good book to read on this is "Healing the Shame that Binds You", which discusses shame in deep detail.

To help, start with expressing that they are welcome in class and even missed when absent. Use the classroom to create a functional support system that doesn't allow students to be loners or isolated.

The instructor needs to find the worth of each student and then, show that to the student. Some will respond, some will recluse further. But in my experience, students who don't value themselves really just don't know how. That is a subject that an instructor can teach, too.

-R

Rick,
Thank you so much for this valuable information. Shame and fear of failure are two very intense emotions as you mention. With adult learners this is even more true because for them to come back to school is high risk at best. Being human and showing support starts the developmental process for the students to see that if they will put forth the effort they can in fact be successful, which for many of them is a real surprise.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Find out what the students passion and integrate into their learning objectives. Thereafter, I reenforce their success by offering their method of communication, for example words of encouragement or acts of kindness.

James,
We instructors need to have passion for our content and field and bring excitement to each class we teach. In return our students will develop their own passion about what they are learning and this will increase their motivation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The focus on my students, it the my high self-esteem and my knowledge of the subject. My work experience stories, they love and enjoy them like you dont imagen. Thats how I keep my students focus.

I find encourgement goes a long way. Telling them every day they can do it. Then when test day comes they make good grades I tell them see you can do it. You see a smile that won't go away

Margaret,
This is one of the rewards to teaching. They learn and they grow and when tested over their knowledge and skills they perform. Knowing your are there to support them and are excited about their success is a great motivator.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I hate to simplify it to something akin to mimicry, but, if we show the students respect they tend to start seeing someone to respect. This helps both in their self-respect and respect for others (especially you!).

Colin,
You are right. We do model the behavior and mannerisms of those around us. We need to provide them with the proper role models as professionals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found that letting the student know you care for them and will help them to be successfulis a positive motivation

Allow them to feel as comfortable as possible.
Also, they must not feel afraid to make a mistake. Lastly, constant positive reinforcement always works.

DeShaun,
Good sequence to follow to help students get settled into the course and focused on the learning opportunities that are being presented.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sometimes just knowing that the instructor is there for them with a positive word of encouragement is enough. I also like to establish an environment from day one that ensures that all students know it is always ok and encouraged for them to ask questions. This way a student that has low self esteem will hopefully gleam some confidence and knowledge from other students, as well.

Courtney,
Having instructional support is a powerful for many students. It is this support that may make the difference between success and dropping out of school. This is the human factor of being an instructor.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment