Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

self discovery

I teach primarily 'hands-on' courses in my field and what I enjoy witnessing most is when my students 'get it'. This personal discovery works wonders for their self-esteem and is better than any feedback I can give them. I treasure those days when I observe a student and from our eye contact know the 'light is now on'.

Terry,
Good point about the personal discovery. This is exciting to see as the light comes on and a student gets it. The pay off for being an instructor.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

My first teaching position was at a ground school. I miss teaching in this atmosphere for the reason you have discussed. I now teach online and while I still have moments when I know the light bulb turns on they are fewer then when in the classroom setting. I am fortunate to work for a school that has live web classrooms where I can get the interaction with the students or I am not sure I would be happy teaching online.

Aprilan,
The lack of direct student interaction is one of the drawbacks with online teaching or least it is for me. So I can appreciate your comments about it. On the other hand having the web classrooms really adds an element of communication and interaction that helps with student feedback.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment