Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping your lecture exciting

Students need to feel motivated, and that can be achieved by an exciting and engaging lecture.

I try to keep them excited and involved during a discussion. I like to use the term "discussion" rather than "lecture". I find that a lecture promotes seperation between the instructor and the learners where as a discussion invites them to be involved in the material. For some reason I picture this stuffy old guy hiding behind a podium when giving a lecture. To be sucessful and keep the students involved the instructor needs to be out and about in the classroom.

By involving all the students in the lecture
room. Keeping them interested. have some topic
related funs. Ask them to tell something to
add.

One of the things I find most motivating to my students is talking about real-world experiences and getting them excited about their future in the career field. Sometimes it will recharge a student when they begin lacking enthusiasm for the process of achieving their goal.

I also start each class by inquiring how the students are doing... such as how was your weekend? I find that by sharing with appropriate boundries makes them see you as "more human" and thus are more engaged and willing to talk during class. Additionally, using humor is a Great way to keep them interested.

I want my class to be excited and I found humor makes students more involved during instructions.

I like the "appropriate boundaries" part of your post. Rapport is great, understanding your students is great, but you have to stay within certain limits of what is okay and what is not inside the classroom.

I try to take my students through a journey and
give information at the same time with humor.

Great suggestion! Letting the students share their "real-world" experiences gives them a sense of ownership and pride in the class dicussion.

As well as an exciting an engaging chat!

Sign In to comment