Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning

I find that the most entertaining and productive
classes are when all the students participate in the lesson. It gives the opportunity for students to relate the material they are learning with class topics and sometimes it even helps other students understand material better.

As far as active learning goes, I agree with Marisol - I think students learn more and enjoy their learning when they are actively engaged. Sometimes I find this is difficult to do, though. Some will not volunteer. So what I try to do as much as possible is have group projects, and in the shorter term, to divide students into small groups to discuss a subject or to solve a problem. Anything where I can get all involved is best.

Hi Sarah,
You are using a very good strategy in putting the students into groups for certain work projects. This reduces the fear some have in speaking up in the entire class. They also can see in small groups the exact contributions they need to make for group success.
Gary

Lets say there are 5 componets that comprise the total subject. Break the class in to five groups giving each the task of one of the componets and to report on its function as well as that componets effect on the subject as a whole. As the reports progress as small parts, the whole subject is developed with the understanding of each componets surport role. This can work in many subjects.

I belief it is important that students know from the first day in class that their role in school is this of an "Active Learner". We can teach whatever the subject may be, if the student is not willing to participate and become an active learner, he/she will not be successful.

Heinz

Hi Heinz,
That is correct. They have to become involved in the learning process or they are wasting their time and money. They are there to learn content and skills that will help them to achieve their career goals. Sometimes they have to be shown that several times before they believe it.
Gary

I'm glad you mentioned "several times". I believe you can tell the students whatever you want but the act of actually taking the time and doing the procedure just the way you want it right next to them as they do it helps with both parties. Most of the time I find another way to explain how to do something.

I think us job to help them to learn,skills and to achieve their career goals.

Sign In to comment