Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gaining control of the Talkers!

I know every teacher has experienced these types of students in class, and I am currently dealing with 3 students this quarter who can not seem to cut their side conversation. At times, they are discussing class material however, at other times they are chatting about things that have nothing to do with class, which to say the least can be very frustrating!

I have tried different tactics, some working only temporarily, others not working at all, but after having read this module, I feel as though a new light has been shed on the situation and how I can best deal with it. I look forward to trying some of the techniques with my sutdents today in class!

Hi Sandra,
Hope the information is of help. Let me know how it works out for you.
Gary

In the online classroom, it is the opinions and discussions can get out of control. I teach criminal justice theories class and these students have very strong views!!! I try to remind them to stay respectful, and as the instructor I have the option of removing the discussion thread if it is too negative.

Kathryn

We have all been in the same predictament. I also have a group of 3 students that were doing the same. At times when I am lecturing I will call on them to repeat what I had just gone over or ask them a question about the subject matter at hand. I also will ask them to share with the class if the information was pertaining to the subject matter. I will at point blank ask a student to please be quiet or let them know that they can leave the classroom. So far no has left the classroom.

Hi Jacinda,
Have you notices an improvement in their behavior after you have talked with them and tried to involve them in the class discussions?
Gary

It has gotten better but at times during group discussions they don't know when to be stop and be quiet. Sometimes they go off on different discussions and this can be a little disruptive. I am in the middle of "being liked" and trying to discipline "being disliked" in the students minds. How can someone gain a perfect evalution from the students if at times you have to implement order in the classroom? Here at our school students actually evaluate the teachers after each term. They remember the not so good times before the good times. It's not easy having to balance everything. I am trying to do the best I can. I appreciate input from others in order to become even better.

Hi Jacinda,
Let's start with the idea that you probably won't ever receive a perfect evaluation from students. The reason is that with the wide variety of students coming to your classes you are bound to upset or offend some of them in some way. Even though you are right in what you are asking of them, they may not like it so you get "nicked" for it on your evaluation. What you do strive for is rapport and respect. Are you consistent with your students and your assignments, do you model positive professional behavior, and do the students see you as an expert in your field? If you answer these questions in the positive you are in a good position as an educator. You students will respect you even more if you take control of the class and make sure one student does not dominate discussions and your time.
I would suggest that you do mini-evaluations along the way in your course. Give the students 3x5 cards and have them give their assessments of the most recent assignment or project. This feedback I find is extremely helpful in improving my course both in terms of lecture and assignments.
I am evaluated at the end of the course phase by the students since it is a college requirement. These evaluations for the most part are of no value since they reflect the students' most current thinking or opinions. They forget to look at the entire course, rather they focus on the past few weeks when all of the big projects are do and they are constantly being pushed. I get good evaluations in terms of numerical scores but there really isn't any value to them.
By being a positive model, manager and motivator you will find that your feedback what ever form it takes from the students will keep you fired up and excited about being an instructor.
Gary

As an instructor, I first determine why the students are talking inappropriately about things not pertaining to the subject matter. It's never because they don't have enough to do. If need be, I provide them with an oppurtunity to instruct the class. They always decline. After I finish, I ask for a volunteer to stand in the front of the class to to reiterate the instruction or the lesson. They actually like that! Repetitive talkers are separated.

Hi Sheronda,
Thanks for sharing those class management strategies. I know other participants will benefit from your experience.
The key is to keep the students focused on the content and how they are progressing. You are right on target with what you are doing.
Gary

I encourage talkers to take a subject to the class. A few minutes (not during one of their violations) in front of the group can be a good morale booster for the group, and, sometimes, stop the interruptions dead in their tracks.

I have put everyone of these ideas to work and have had great sucess. There are always the hardcore talkers and I have found one way of taking care of the problem that works everytime. If I have a couple of guys that will not stop conversing to one another will I am lecturing I will pick up my material and take to the area they are in sometimes lay it right on the their table between them and start lecturing from their location in the room. The point is generally taken quickly and the problem goes away.

Hi Phillip,
Good approach to class management. You are controlling the situation without having to disrupt the flow of the class due to the behavior of a couple of students.
Gary

We have problems with talkers, but in our case it is not that they necessarily talk during class. The problem is that when these talkers speak with other students they sow the seeds of misery.

It seems that we always have a handful of students who have created bad situations for themselves by doing things such as getting caught cheating, failing courses due to not submitting homework, or being put on probation for missing too many classes. Then these students do not take responsibility for their own behavior and instead seem to make criticizing the school, the teachers, and the administration their life’s work.

They go around telling other students how “unfair” everything is and complain at the drop of a hat. They delight in telling others that admissions promised that they could complete the program in 15 minutes, financial aid hasn’t tried hard enough to get them more funding, and the teachers are all unqualified and disrespectful of them.

Students talking to one another while I am teaching is a pet peeve of mine. They are the ones who five minutes later will ask you about the very subject everyone was discussing while they were talking. To stop this, I usually stop talking, which turns everyone's focus on them. When they realize they are the only ones talking, they immediately stop.

Hi Glenda,
Good point about maintaining control of the class. This is good class management. By having a class setting that is organized and focused you will have much better learning results.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Some students will always have something to say. I find giving them extra work by "helping" the class (such as leading discussion or presenting material) helps them work out some of their talkative energy. I am planning to make some repeat offenders sit in the front of the class instead of the back.

I also stop talking when there are students talking while I am doing demo. I just look at them and wait patiently. I try not to look upset or bothered. Most of the time fellow classmates will tell them to be quiet. I then tell them that they should direct their questions, comments or concerns to me, that there is no silly question because if they are lost or need clarification that I can guarantee that someone else does too.

Later in the demo I will go on to explain that not only are they wasting their educational and learning time by not aksing me the question directly, but they are wasting the time of the person they are asking the questions. I then ask in a round about way if when they are asking a fellow student questions about what is going on in demo do they know that they are taking away that students learning time too. So they are not just wasting/loosing time for themselves they are dragging another student down.

Then I phrase it a different way, I ask if you are the student being asked the question, why are you allowing another students to rob you of your class time. I encourage them to tell the other student to speak up and say "ask Chef".

The students very quickly realize that answering another student's question costs them both time and money.

Hi Karen,
Way to go in handling the situation of keeping students focused and engaged on the topic and demo. They have to realize that the strategies you are sharing with them will help them to achieve their career goals and create a vision for their future success.
Gary

Sign In to comment