Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focus on Students

An instructor needs to understand that once in the classroom "it is not about me". The focus must always be on the students - are they learning, are they paying attention, did they understand the concept? I have made a conscious effort throughout my career of leaving my personal feelings, pains, or concerns outside the door. Students pay a lot of money for courses so they deserve 100% - not a half-hearted 75% because I have a pain!

Hi Rosie,
What are some strategies you use to keep yourself focused on the students and energized for your presentations?
Gary

Rosie,

I agree with you. Students deserve 100% of their instructors attention. They do pay a lot of money for their courses and deserve to have the focus of the instructor on them.

Rosie,

I agree with you and believe me I have my pains. But, these do need to be left at home. If 100% is not what you intend to give to your students then it is time to move on to something else. They do pay a lot of money and deserve the best education available to them.

If one is not feeling 100% I would suggest using other means such as activities or collaborative groups to take 100% of the attention off of you for that day.

Rosie,

There is no question as to the fact that our students deserve the very best from us as instructors. Our mental and physical health tends to impact our daily behaviors, as it does theirs. In the classroom however, we have an opportunity that goes beyond the typical learning and skills development.

Students need to see that no matter the daily challenges faced by instructors, health or otherwise, they are our focus of attention. The determination we exhibit in overcoming any obsticles can provide valuable learning experiences for students. These same experiences can also be transfered by them for use in their own work place.

Instructors must be prepared to modify and/or set aside their personal feelings, health, etc., so as not to interfere with the learning experiences of our students. Case in point.

Massage Therapy instructor with broken ankle. Rather than simply sitting at her desk and lecturing (demonstrations were temporarily placed on hold, although she did try), she accessed a wheel chair, and rode it around the classroom as she discussed various topics and techniques. Student focus and listening was intensified, and the students found it a great change of pace following her around the room.

Lesson experienced as a result of her creativity, adaptability, dedication and commitment to her students, the students actually centered their focus on her instruction and performed their lab skills with a greater sence of determination. They new she was in pain but did not exhibit it. Simply, it was their way of demonstrating appreciation for her focus towards their success. Pay back can be sweet!

David Hall

Hi David,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the participants. The story about overcoming adverse situations is an excellent example of how instructors can continue their sharing of their professionalism. The instructor is an amazing person.
Gary

Sign In to comment