Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personalm Stories

Telling your students personal stories can be one of the best things that you can do.It helps the student to understand that youare knowledgable in regard to there feild and that you to can make mistakes.

Dear Nicole

I agree telling personal stories to your students is a good thing, as long as you don't over story them, and the stories fit in with the topic.

Hi Nicole,
Creating a blend between personal stories and course content helps students to see relevance and application. Good approach.
Gary

This can also be a quick "mind break" for the students. The instructor must bring in back into relationship with the course as soon as possible though.

I find that I pique my students interests in the topic I am currently teaching by sharing personal experiences that have happened in the field previously.

Hi Thomas,
Well said! Break and then redirection back to the course content.
Gary

Hi Cristine,
Everyone likes to success stories and stories about experiences that have taken place in the "real world". Good job with sharing yours and getting your students focused on the learning process.
Gary

yes I agree with you,it makes them feel more at ease in your class,less pressure,we seam to get along much better,

I have been teaching legal courses for three years now and I tell personnel stories in every class that I teach. I find that it brings a reality to the class which textbooks and lectures cannot. And since I was an adult learner, it helps the class to realize that I've been through what they are experiencing now. As a result, I find that my students actually enjoy coming to class.

Hi Bruce,
Your approach is giving your students two very important things when it comes to class success. Respect and rapport. By sharing your life experiences they can see themselves in how you completed your education and are now their instructor. Great success story.
Gary

Sign In to comment