Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

surprise topics

emergency role playing and decision making useful for students

I agree with you I feel it helps the student learn to use their new skills in a situation they may face in the field.

I feel role playing for any type of service industry will help students be more confident when they are in the real work place. Students are learning by other students behavior during this role play.

Hi Lydia,
You are using a good strategy as role playing does help the students see how the soft or career skills they are acquiring will benefit them in their work careers.
Gary

That is a great suggestion!!

Since we teach design skills our surprise topics usually center around the surprises that arise in the real world of working with clients.

We simulate with a student team a major change in a project becasue the client is being preempted by one of their competitors. They need changes and they need them fast. It really energizes the class.

I know that it does not happen much in reality but it is a good exercise to keep students motivated.

Hi Charles,
I really like your approach. I use case studies in my classes for the same purpose. The use of the student teams is good as well since in the real world they will have to learn how to work with many different people with many different ideas.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment