Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Learnativity" -- is it more that "Applicability"?

I think that the concept implied in this definition and topic is one of application of "skills learning project management". The objectives (of the learning) must be clearly stated and made visible, along with an application (presented and/or guided by the instructor) of the objective learning that will enable the student to "see", internalize, and use the course materials in their present world. Hopefully, the student will realize that the course content is a "tool" that can be put into their "toolbox" of capabilities that can be transported by them to any of life's work that they engage in; work for compensation, volunteer activity, and home life.

Hi Herschel,
Well said. You have captured to heart of what teaching is about. Engaging the students in manner that enables them to accomplish their career goals. I really like your approach to the classroom and I know your student benefit from your expertise and knowledge.
Gary

Hi Herschel:

Love the "toolbox" analogy. I use the same approach in my classes, conveying to my students from Day 1 that what they learn here is not the end result, but a tool to help them get to that goal they have set for themselves. It's a little harder "sell" when it comes to basic English and reading classes, but creating that sense of building a toolbox filled with things that can help them be successful is a concept my students can "wrap their heads around." And I tell them a workman is only as good as his tools, so they should want to build quality tools with which they can build their futures. It sems to help them get past that immediate gratification thing and start to look long term.

And thanks for pointing out the other side of learning - the side that speaks to our social selves: community service and volunteer activity. What we teach our students should include how their skills and abilities can benefit their communities as well as themselves.

Regards,

John

I think the English language has a sufeit of words without inventing new ones.
As a British Citizen I understand English but not the constant use of 'buzz words' and acronyms.
REFOCUS is a word with a definite meaning, if its to be used as an acronym spell it out -R.E.F.O.C.U.S.
Personally, I find it more confusing than helpful

Hi Peter,
Sorry you feel that way. But the word Refocus is being used both as a word, meaning to refocus one's attention and excitement about one's work and also as an acronym. Either way it has been very successful in helping professional educators in their growth to expand their abilities and refine their expertise.
My suggestion is to find something that will help you to meet the needs of your students and give you satisfaction as an educator. I wish you the best in your teaching.
Gary

Sign In to comment