Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focus

Focus

Focus is an important part of an instructor. I've been teaching for 6 years but I started to pay special attention to material preparation for just about two years. Now I think the students learn quicker because lectures and hand outs are ready when I get to the classroom. I also pay close attention to the course syllabus that way I don't miss subjects at all.

Hi Daniel,
Your comments reinforce the principle of being prepared. There are enough things that come up in teaching that will need your attention, just think how things would be if you weren't prepared.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I find that by focusing on creating new projects beforehand for the students, it seems to be more effective and exciting for them. I also focus on looking for new avenues to make the projects more efficient for them.

Hi Jorge,
There other thing I found as an instructor with creating new projects for my students is it helps me keep my excitement about the subject matter. I am always excited about introducing a new project so I can see how it will go. What will the students like about it, does it meet my objectives, where are the rough spots,etc.? Also, after using the new project once I know where I can add new materials and activities.
Gary

Hi Jorge, Creating new projects for the student is a critical point, especially when you are teaching the same level and same course over and over. Because of the varitey of experience, culture and learner capabilites, I have found that self-study projects work nicely. Out of the project I see developing responsibility, accountability and a deeper sense of ownership and pride upon completion. One of the exciting times is having a "Telling fair" for the completed projects. The material is displayed with the producer as the class goes from station to station to be "taught". Popcorn and cokes are served. The students are really focused on what is being taught and the producer has one question on the final exam.(Believe their questions are a lot harder than mine.)
Vicky

Hi Vicky,
I really like your approach for the adult versions of "show and tell". Students no matter their age or experience like to talk about what they have accomplished. By having a bit of a party atmosphere the students can talk about what they have done in a comfortable setting and the observer students can question them about their work. A real win win situation.
Gary

I also agree that focus is an important part of an instructor. the material preparation before hand really helps in students learning quicker. In other words, difficult situations work to achieve the highest benefit with the least amount of time and effort. It also helps to concentrate on other subjects

I agree that focus is an very important part of being an instructor. All material should be prepared before hand. I find that I must frequently think about the material to be presented and find a new way of presentation to keep it from becoming rote. When it is no longer exciting me, it will not hold the students attention.

Being focused and prepared sends a clear message to the students regarding your purpose and intention as an intructor: to oversee the learning process in a pertinent and timely fashion. I can usually get my students to follow my example and approach their hands on tasks with purpose and intensity once we arrive in the lab. It gives me more time to teach and requires less hand holding. The one on one teaching opportunities present a great opportunity for developing rapport and building the students confidence upon successful completion of tasks.

Hi David,
Well said. By keeping the students engaged and focused on what they are learning you are creating a connection with them that will enable both they and you to have a professional and positive relationship while they are in class.
Gary

Being focused is important! I find myself being too focused. When we stray from course a bit I loose my thoughts. Being over focused can be just as bad as having no focus at all!

Hi Jessie,
You make a good point about being focused. What are some strategies that you use to make sure you remain focused without being overly focused and losing your thoughts or place in your lecture?
Gary

Sign In to comment