Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Backfiring Surprise...

Dr. Meers,

In numerous courses I have taught, I've restrained myself from using the element of surprise because of fear that it could backfire and completely cause the wrong effect.

As a computer support instructor, I would find it fitting that computer technicians in training would benefit from ocassionally being surprised. For instance, one time I planned a drill that would have a student perplexed, encountering a computer that is malfunctioning after it was working perfectly fine before the coffee break. I've done this drill a few times with mixed success. One time, the students were able to succesfully fix the problem... another, they proceeded erroneously and even caused irrepairable damage.

Yes, there was a learning experience, but I do not know to what extent it was positive or it was discouraging. After the incident I tried being supportive and debrief the students in order to ensure they understood what happenned... nevertheless, I had doubts as to whether reattempt to continue this approach.

Are there any suggestions, in your perspective, that can provide some insight into delivering a "safer" positive effect while using a high impact surprise?

Hi Carlos,
I think you are on the right track in using the surprise element. I know I have had good results with using such a format. The key is creating a situation that will engage all of the students and is one that they will become involved in. They have to want to be a part of solving the problem. I have used plane crashes, lost in the woods and stranded on an island type of surprises to get my students to problem solve. The activity has to be exciting yet achieveable.
To start an activity like this sometimes I will give them a limited set of materials and/or information and let them come up with solutions. I do this with groups and each group then reports how they solved the problem. This is always fun for the class and each group will come at it a different way.
Gary

I think you should continue to add the surprise element. Even when it doesn't work out as planned, it becomes a learning experience for the students and the instructor.

Past experience has taught me to evaluate the student's personalities and adjust which surprise activites I should use. Not all activites are appropriate for all groups.

Hi Margaret,
Thank you for the comments about using surprise as a teaching tool. I like to add surprise to my classes as it keeps my students guessing about what we might try next. They like to learn about the surprise, such as a new problem or project, or a new game we will play to learn career terms. You point about adjusting to the class and student personalities is a good one. Class and student dynamics change and we have to adjust to these changes as we plan our classes.
Gary

Whether a positive or negative feeling after such an experience will depend alot on the spin the instructor puts on it. If they didn't get the computer fixed, have a debriefing session - what worked, what didn't, what can be done the next time? What do they need to know?
If it's a success - still have the debriefing and analyze what could have gone wrong, and how to avoid that? Why did it succeed - teamwork? use of individual skills?

I believe we can learn from the failures as weel as the successes and if we learn how to do these, we will handle the backfires in life so much better!

Hi Victoria,
Good comments. What you expressed is simply life. Things happen that are out of our control and how we handle those things will determine how successful we will be. By using these difficult situations as learning tools you are giving your students applications for the next steps in their lives.
Gary

I'm just guessing here...

I'd be willing to bet that students certainly learned something even when they destroyed the computer! :>)

I suppose our response to students damaging the computer determines whether the "surprise" was of some use or not. I bet it was.

Just me thinking...

Dan

Reading through the replies their seamed to be a general theme of how to spin the not so successful surprise helps to determine the end outcome. My comment is in support of the good spin. In our classes we issue W-5's which are work related faluirs resulting in a 5% deduction. Many learners dread these W-5's. In my class we changed the delivery of it from "this is what you done wrong" to "hey everyone come here and lets learn from this." Soon the class was appreciating these events becuase they now found the value in make the mistake in school versus in a shop.

Hi Leslie,
Good reversal. You are creating building stones instead of blocks. The students can continue to step up in their development. By knowing where they need to improve they can continue to have a forward focus and know how they can progress in their training.
Gary

I think suprising students and keeping them out of their comfort zone is a very effective way to getting them to stay focused.

Sign In to comment