Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thank you Gary. This started as one of the Icebreaker and Energiser Activities we used in our conflict resolution module. After seeing how well it worked there, we thought it would be good to implement everywhere. Our inner voice chatters away at us and it strongly affects our behavior in a situation.

It is important that instructors recognize that mindchatter does happen to students and to ourselves. It may be something that happened today, something imminent, something we must remember to do, or other important personal matters, our mind tends to chatter about this and distract us.

For anyone using it in their classes, certain ground rules have to be set of course, or it just becomes a complaint session. We want students to learn how to look for solutions not problems, so students briefly explain what is bothering them or what is on their mind. Either by talking about it, they automatically feel better or someone else will have a solution for them. However, once talked about, it is done, and the student should be more relaxed and ready to start the class.

Hope that helps.

Hi Suzanne,
Great explanation. Your input is very helpful.
Gary

Sometimes the stress becomes too high in our classes and life so to let off a little steam, I bought water guns, tops and paper airplanes from a party store. We served snacks. We had a large tub of water to refill the water guns. I was glad I bought the small water guns. These adults from 19 to 55 went up and down the halls shooting their water guns at students and instructors alike. One instructor thought it was childish, but most everyone else had a good time and laughed and relieved some tension.

Hi Joyce,
I like your approach to being sensitive to the needs of your students. I like you, like to take a break from the stresses of instruction and have a diversion that allows students to have some fun, develop rapport with faculty and get ready to finish the course. I have found that this is not wasted time, in reality helps the students refocus, thus making their learning even more targeted.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Thank,
I will email to you

I agree Cindy! I also try to incorporate articles into my courses that I know would interest the students. For my business students, I have found Fast Company to be one of the greatest sources.

The maxim at our campus is that the time in the classroom MUST be more valuable than any other option that might grab the student's attention that day. You MUST be more compelling than Oprah, Dr. Oz or a myriad of other real or potential distractions. It is a daunting challenge, but it is doable. You MUST make them quite reluctant to miss class!

Sign In to comment