Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Empathy

Understanding and relating to students and their problems, helps to start the connection process with your students. It lets them know you are on their side.

Amy,
This is the human side of teaching and it needs to be displayed so the students see in their instructor a person that understands them and is willing to provide them support as needed. A good connection for the establishment of rapport.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I recently had a student that was released from prison and was out on parole. She was trying to do everything that she could to stay in school but the demands of being on parole where becoming too much for her. Even though I have never gone through what she was going through I understand that life can be hard and that we all have our challenges.

I spend extra time with the student to make sure they understood the materials and what was asked of them. She would email me frequently asking questions or what she missed because she had to take a UA test. This student is still in school today and is thriving. She has mentioned numerous times that it was because of my time and interested in her behalf. Often times, all a student needs is someone who cares.

Kevin,
Thank you for sharing this story with us. I love hearing stories like this because this is why we are teachers. We are helping to shape the futures of our students through the courses we offer and the support we provide. You went the extra mile to support this person and her success is the result. A win win for everyone!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I too have had similar experiences with students that have had trying personal experiences. I work on giving them my undivided attention during private talks but encourage them that they can not throw away their dream for a stumbling block and I work to encourage them to take a moment to vent and "get back on the horse".

Mary,
Your personal attention is extremely valuable to students with life challenges. You are an authority figure plus their learning leader as as a result they really look to you for support. Spending time with them increases their motivation as well as increases their confidence in their ability to be successful in school.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

How can I relate to my students if my school's policy does not alow instructors to have these discussions with our students. Everything has to go trough the program director. Students have to report to her and she makes all decisions whitout our input. It makes me feel and look like I have no emphaty. I know if I would know more about their situation I could work with them and help them more.

Andrea,
This is a challenge but hopefully your school does not stop you from talking informally with your students before and after class about current events in the school or community. This chats will lead to students sharing information that will be of help to you without violating any of your school's policies about gaining this information. My point is that if a student starts talking about getting a new puppy it won't be long before they may share something else such as caring for an elderly parent that requires a lot of their time. This little bit of information is valuable when it comes to you helping them complete their out of school assignments. It is a soft approach that will also show your students your human side.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment