Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students with personal issues that need assistance

How do we help students who say they cannot attend class due to being in an abusive relationship, no gas money, or no child care? We do provide resources, but some of the students really just need to know that everything will be ok.

Rebecca,
Tough situation for such students as well as you and your school. If they aren't there they shouldn't be passing the course. If all types of resources and accommodations have been made and the students still cannot attend then they should be advised to step out of school for a while until they get their personal lives in balance and then they can come back to school. We advise students to do this all the time because it is better for them to step out and try to gain control of their lives than to fail while remaining in school.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always try to be encouraging to students when I feel that their home life is not ideal. If they aren't in class on time I send them a text or email just so they know I care and I'm concerned about their personal well-being as well as their grade in my class. For me I feel that taking this approach usually helps them get in gear and make arrangements to be in class.

Students who need assistance are given my cell phone number so that they are able to communicate with me when they are having difficulties.

Dana,
Reach outs like this provide a lot of mental support for students because they know they have someone they can call upon should a situation arise.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to get students to remember their intrinsic needs. Reminding them of what made them make a commitment to enroll in school, it helps them to take personal accountability for their future. Also, I try to help them use critical thinking to help solve their problem. It gives them a tool to help resolve their problem.

James,
This is a very important approach to take because it is really up to them to be successful. We are instructors not students so we have already been where they are. We have put forth the effort to be successful and gain experience and we did it because of our internal drive and goals. They need to capture this internal desire as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Without getting too personal, I share my story of the journey I had when attending massage school. I encourage them the best that I can and provide resources to them that will help them in many situations. Our campus has many resourses available for all of these situations. Also, I have a dynamic group of students that constantly lend a helping hand to one another.

I recently had a student with a less than ideal personal home life and it was significantly affecting her attendance and class performance. She came to me near the end of the course sharing her personal life. We talked about what aspects she had control over and what things she could not control. She could control the outcome of the class and her performance and realized she was spinning her wheels and stressing over too many things she couldn't control. We also talked about her priorities, goals, and how she had to let go of some of the stresses so she could continue progressing toward her goals. She completed most of her incomplete assignments, barely passed the course but had re-focused on her dreams and goals and what she had to do to reach them.

Sara,
Personal stories of going to school and working in the field really help students to see the value of the course content being offered. Also, stories like yours helps them to see that you have been where they are so you understand the struggles they are facing.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Shauna,
Good way to provide support to a challenged student and help her to continue moving forward in her career development. Even though she barely got through she did get through and she didn't quit school. This says a lot about the help you provided her.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Like many in this thread, I also find several students in my classes with significant life issues which are interfering with their performance in the classroom. I am concerned, however, that giving out our personal number to students can blur the line between instructor and student. Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is it important to maintain this boundary?

Camille,
You raise a very good question. I would first check with your college administrators on what the policy is for giving out personal numbers by faculty. I don't give my personal number but I do give my email. I have found that my students use this medium easily and I can communicate with them easily without being bothered by constant phone calls. No hard and fact rule. I base this on my experiences.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. Sometimes they just need to know that you care about them as a person not just a student. I have referred a student to our Student Services department for help and have seen them blossom as a student. Its so great to have that kind of support behind you.

Gina,
This is a critical part of the instructional process. Knowing you care about them as individuals and that you are there to support their success is a connecting point for many students. Many students are facing major life challenges outside of the classroom and to know they have an educator that cares about them goes a long way in keeping them in school and focused on being successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment