Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating learning environment

It has worked to introduce myself and give small amount of background on my nursing career. I also enjoy talking about my son and farm projects so have shared pictures of cows and pigs with class.

Julie,
This is a relaxed and supportive way to introduce yourself to the class and to show the students that you have a life and that you have been where they are. This presents the human side of being a teacher.
Gary

I have always related my personal experiences, good or bad, and realated them to the topic.

It helps my students know me better and can relate if subjects come up that they need help with. Personal stories about my job is always exciting for them that what they are learing I've gone through and enjoy my job the good and the bad.

I also find that students enjoy hearing of how the subject relates to real-life experiences in the healthcare field (my students are allied-health students). Any time that I can explain that the particular subject at hand can make a positive difference in the healthcare setting and their future work environment, you can see everyone in the class perk up and really listen!

I definately rely on my personal experiences in my field to provide credibility to the material I use in class.

I also make it a point to address negative issues and move on, but always take the time to focus on praising students when they are sucessful.

Finally, I am never afraid to discuss mistakes I have made in my field, so my students can learn from those mistakes. I also feel this is importnat to demonstrate to students that it is ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and move on.

Sign In to comment