Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sincerity

While it is important to recognize the diversity of students and respond accordingly, I believe it is equally important to maintain the same basic persona for every student while offering the correct help/mentoring/coaching for their unique situation. Being a chameleon, drastically changing into something different for every student, may help the student in front of you, but it is possible for others to observe this behavior and deem you a phony-baloney.

Hi John,
You raise a good point. Instructors need to be fair and consistent with all students. What they can do is to bring a persona to the classroom that is reflective of excitement and enthusiasm about the field which can be observed by all students.
Gary

the instructor has to be even and consistant with every student but every student will be different.

Thank you John!

I agree 100 percent with your statement Being a chameleon, drastically changing into something different for every student, may help the student in front of you, but it is possible for others to observe this behavior and deem you a phony-baloney.

It is important to be genuine and to remember you cannot force yourself to be something that you aren't; teaching is not for everyone.

Renee Bipes

I agree and try to treat all students fairly. I make a conscious effort to devote time to each student and make it an equal effort. I know the students recognize this as some have commented on their end of course evaluations. They find my classroom instructor demeanor both respectful and fair.

Sign In to comment