Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students with disabilities

With online courses they feel more at home.

The disable students nedd special attention.
We have to respect them and have remember that
they have same right to get education like other students.

Students with disabilities are still students and have the same concerns as a "normal" student. They also have their added disability on top of the other issues.

While it's true that disabled students deserve your consideration and respect, I don't believe they want to be treated any differently than any of the other students. It would also be unfair to other students to give special treatment to these students because of their disabilities, which could give an advantage.

Hi Carol,
Students with disabilities need to have the same opportunities to learn as other students. As the instructor you have to maintain the standards of the career field if you don't you will be short changing the students. You can provide instructional supports that will help students learn the material which other students can use as well.
Thank you for your comments.
Gary

Depending on the student's disability; you not only have to provide instructional support but accommodate their physical needs. We have hearing impaired students, we need to make sure they are in front that they may read your lips, assign another student to assist and or acquire soft ware that will enable your mic to go directly into their hearing aide.
This may distrub some students that special treatment is extended to the disabled but those students should be reminded of the disabillities act and what it means.

Hi Donald,
You make several very good points about how to provide quality education to all students. Those with disabilities have the right to complete their educations just as all other students. In my experience I have not had other students complain about accommodations made for students with disabilities.
Gary

To me, I feel that I would have an easier time adapting to a student with a physical disability rather than one with a cognitive disability.

Hi Craig,
A student with a cognitive disability takes more time and effort from an instructor in most cases. There may need to be modifications in the course content for a cognitive disability such as learning disabilities. Though these modifications are not complex nor greatly time consuming they do take some creative thinking in terms of how these materials will be most supportive for the student.
Gary

Sign In to comment